Agnostic.com

9 3

Any auto mechanics in the house?

Have some questions about my 3/4 ton Chevy truck. Really want to increase towing performance without buying a new Duramax for 80k.
Any mechs or transmission gurus here, I’d really appreciate some tips.
Trucks stock, tranny is stock, currently towing my 6000lb trailer and having some problems with overheating and power loss at higher rpms.
Thanks in advance!!

Moose42 5 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hate assuming, but I suspect you're talking about an automatic transmission? If so, the first thing I'd recommend is a transmission flush and filter change. Take it to a real transmission shop, they can also adjust it if necessary. Then.... add a transmission cooler. It's like little mini radiator for the trans fluid specifically. I've installed them on all my Bronco's and trucks over the years. They work.

After watching faith healers on television hold out their hands over a crippled child and yell....HEAL....and then the kid sort of walks one step and the crowd goes wild, I have decided to open up Dave's Faith Healing Garage and Body Shop. Bring your truck on in and I will lay hands upon it and pray, "Oh Lord, givest my brother higher rpms....(murmer amen), I say give my brother relief from overheating (say amen) and Lord, if you are listening tonight, have Moose give a love offering to my Garage and Body Shop so that you will see that Brother Moose has the faith you require so you can send your love onto his 3/4 ton Chevy truck, Amen. There, problem solved.

Sorry brother... I take my stuff to the dealer...

Yeah, I don’t have that type of cheddar. Lol.

I wish I knew if it was the motor or the trans or both that were overheating. Some of this is redundant with the other comments.

How do the radiator and condenser look (dents, mud, obstructions, intact fans running, bugs)?
Check fan belts (if any)
Fan shroud(s) broken, loose, or missing?
Coolant/oil/trans/air filters been changed at factory intervals? Fluids changed too?
Valve adjustment needed?
Is it kicking codes?

and finally the one you didn't want to read:

How hard are you pushing it exactly (hills, consecutive towing hours, speeds) and is there any thought to easing off on it?

Motor and the trans overheating on the inclines. Speeds are low on the hills and I have major issues with the stretches that don’t offer much relief from the grade. Trouble is, I have tough times finding any decent getaway sites out of this valley that doesn’t require me going up a grade or two that’ll push the truck.

Add an oil cooler to the trans and rear diff. Talk to a trans shop about having it regeared for more torque.

I run an electric auxiliary cooling fan that draws fresh air across a stacked plate auxiliary transmission cooler. You can also install an oversized oil pan, with or without cooling fins on the tranny. Get a tranny fluid temp gauge.

Any issues with fluid pressure? Can you advise any brands/sites I can go to look?

First problem is it's a Chevy

Thank you. That was helpful. ??

Don't forget to check the blinker fluid.

godef Level 7 May 4, 2018

changed tranny fluid lately? inspect/upgrade tranny cooler too. cooling system might need attn, but i smell tranny stuff there tbh, common prob

I'm not judging....I have seen some really sexy trannys and often wondered what that side of the street was like

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73644
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.