Agnostic.com

5 3

How to define stupidity?

I am currently reading the book "Le nouvel âge de la bêtise" by Pierre André Taguieff. Unfortunately, the author gives a lot of examples of this "new stupidity", but he doesn't give a definition of stupidity.

I like Kant's definition best, which he says is a "lack of judgment" (= Mangel an Urteilskraft), whereby for him judgment is the ability to subsume sensory impressions under the concepts of reason. (Kant: "intellectual concepts as such are empty, mere perceptions are blind) . This ability of judgment is therefore the "hinge" between the world outside and the world of ideas and concepts. If this hinge is defective, as in the case of stupidity, then the ideas and concepts work idly, in a void, so to speak, without any connection to reality.

This is particularly the case with all kinds of ideologies which, as the word suggests, are not about one thing (such as life in biology or the soul in psychology), but are only about ideas and their connections to one another. Ideologies are therefore always a sign of stupidity, as they lack a link to reality. Ideologies arise when ideas only have sex with each other, when they pile up into grandiose intellectual buildings (philosophies, theologies, theories....) that can be very impressive, even internally very coherent, but if they lack a connection to reality, then they are a case of stupidity.

This is also the reason why stupidity is not the opposite of intelligence, because there are very intelligent people who are also very stupid, namely when they only use their intelligence to play with ideas and theories, detached from reality (Nowadays there are whole departments at universities where very intelligent and very stupid people gather and "study". One sign is: They don't call their subjects "science", but "---- Studies".

Well, following Immanuel Kant, this is my idea of stupidity. How would you define it?

Thibaud70 7 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kant’ failings

Kant is the only Philosopher I have ever studied in an 8 week evening course locally .

I will not study any further philosopher. I believe some famous people are of the same mindset.
What Kant should have recognised is the breadth of decision making techniques that people CAN use to conclude .a way forward.

My definition would be 

Stupid = No reliable processes available to this person which automatically shares verification techniques = no faith (yes faith) in science .

It only remains to make accessible to everyone a simpler and more playful ( yes playful I.e.more acceptable) science education and practice.

an erroneous comprehension and/or its use? uniquely, or nearly proprietary human endeavor to understand?

@Hankster. Yes to both but largely infathamable solutionwise. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

To hold ideas which are not good, or the best available, models of outer reality. May work.

Although the term "new stupid" may refer to the behavioral economics theory, which defined the stupid as one of four groups. 1. Those who sacrifice themselves for the greater good, saints if you like. 2. Moral people who look to their own self interest, but only if is not at cost to others. 3. Criminals, who devote themselves only to their own self interest, regardless of the harm to others. And. 4. The stupid, whose behavior harms both themselves and others.

Cipolla's definition is too narrow, because he defines "harm" only in economic terms, where harm can be measured. And he focuses on the outcome, the net result, of actions.

@Thibaud70 Yes that is so,. But I just thought that that could be what is at the back of Pierre André Taguieff's mind when he made the statements in his book.

"intelligent people who are very stupid". I think people confuse academically educated, or more "informed" with intelligence. People are simply bamboozled into believing irrational things. Like there is a magic guy in the sky and you're going to some blissful afterlife when you die where you'll be reunited with your dead loved ones. Are people stupid who believe this? Or are they just misinformed? Or both?

Stupidity ( n ): behaviour that arises from the failure to think analytically, cogently, abstractly, dispassionately and critically for any reason.

@anlophone This is a descriptoion of some of the elements of science

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:736839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.