Agnostic.com

5 2

Your religious experiences

I was raised as a Reformed Jew. Most of my experiences were positive, and I was never taught to hate or to reject science and learning in general. In reading many of the posts here, it seems that most if not all of the people here were raised in environments totally alien to what I knew. Although I know many people who not only claim to be religious but live the values their religion purports to have, it seems like many of you were raised in environments where that wasn't true. Do you think that your experiences invalidate the very idea of religion to you, or that if you had been raised in more positive environments you'd think that religion could be a positive force?

Unicorn1824 7 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised Baptist. Most of my family do not know that my Children and I are atheist. They have a very Fixed Mindset can not see any other view or opinion other than their own. I believe that because of how indoctrinated my family is to religion I was never taught how to set boundaries or that I had autonomy or agency over anything. I started my deconversion about 10 years ago and still working through the religious trauma I experienced.

I do think religion is sometimes a positive force. There are a few that "walk the walk", example Jimmy Carter. Also one's church can provide a community for socializing as well as being socialized: I think that there are a lot of people who can't or won't think for themselves and therefore need their religions to provide their mores, and the threat of punishment to do the right thing.

I had a lot of good experiences growing up in a christian home. I admire how my parents live out their faith and I respect what it means to them and why they embraced it. I was raised to value education and critical thinking. If we disagreed about something, we could talk about our differences and go on living our lives and loving each other. I would say overall that religion has been a positive influence on them, and even that it had positive influences on me when I was younger. (There were negative consequences also...)

So definitely I think my experiences make me more open to seeing value in (some) religious belief.

I was reared in a conservative Catholic household. We said the rosary (a long, boring sequence of prayers) when I was a young child, we had various religious statues and portraits throughout the house, we even had holy water by the door for a time so we could bless ourselves with the sign of the cross as we entered and exited the house (don't try to make sense of that one, as I think we were the only Catholics who ever did that). So, in my upbringing it was totally devout and the notion of unbelief wasn't even present to me for many years. Catholicism doesn't reject science and holds some of the stories of the Bible to be allegorical, so the garden of Eden and Noah's ark, and stories of that sort could be dismissed. But some unscientific things were absolutely required dogma, like transubstantiation (i.e., bread and wine transformed into the literal flesh and blood of Jesus) and the virgin conception and birth of Jesus. And, honestly, I didn't have the spiritual or religious experiences some people claim, but I believed 100% and was one of the most arrogant, judgemental jerks when it came to religious belief. I am a much different person today, but my views of religion and whether a God exists, etc., is entirely separate from my upbringing. If anything, I was so dogmatic that it's hard to figure how I broke free of that mindset, but it certainly didn't push me toward atheism. When I started to question faith, it felt like it was always going to happen sooner or later, despite being a painful process. I don't know whether that answers your question, really, but it's a brief description of my experience.

I have sometimes wondered whether I would have felt the same need to question my beliefs if I had been raised in a more liberal Christianity rather than the anti-science "the Bible must be taken literally, Hell-fire and brimstone" brand in which I was raised. As I have come across many atheists who were raised in more liberal faith traditions, I think it is likely that I would have made the same journey; although it would have been a very different set of questions that demanded answers. But, alas, I will never know; and I am simply happy to have made that journey.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7393
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.