Agnostic.com

12 4

Altered States

Do you believe that hallucinogenic drugs can contribute to ones spiritual experience? And why or why not?

• 13 votes
  • 6 votes
Starletlive 4 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Words can never do justice to the experience. It's also personalized. No two individuals experience the same thing for many reasons.

Words can never do justice to the experience. It's also personalized. No two individuals experience the same thing for many reasons.

Always trying to keep an open mind I took psilocybin and went to a cathedral seeking spiritual enlightenment. Or at least some kind of connection to god or a higher being. But the wood grain on a door ( by way of example) was far more exciting and meaningful than any of mankind's religious hoax was. The religious material was the same tired shit. There was beauty to the stained glass, but it was a secular beauty made more visionary by the mushrooms. In all the experiment was a bust for me, but pretty much what I expected.

I appreciate your response to my earlier question. Many people interpret the concept of spirituality differently. I think hallucinogenics significantly increase my feelings of interconnectedness. I tend to feel very aware of how we humans are all made of exactly the same things and how we really should all be treating each other fairly and equally. I also feel more connected to all other living nonhuman beings and to the Earth. A really good trip will lead me to feelings of universal connectedness. We are all made of stars.

They can... create a way for people to review themselves in a safe environment. Most of us (me included) have issues we MUST work on. Psy drugs can/do open those doors.

Most drugs simply break down the barriers between the conscious and subconscious areas of the brain they invoke nothing, but evoke things probably suppressed for good reason.

I'm not sure "spiritual" is right word, but they definitely had an affect on my thinking and feeling.

Absolutely.

smox Level 4 May 5, 2018

Historic record.

skado Level 9 May 5, 2018

I definitely felt much more connected to the world around me after trying LSD. I became a much more empathetic individual after that experience. All I felt when in church was guilt and judgement.

LSD opened my mind to the truth of the Universe

gater Level 7 May 5, 2018

Please define what you mean by spiritual in this context

Your own view of spiritual, connection to life energy, connection to the greater good, all are one or maybe your own soul if you believe you have one...if you don't have a definition of spiritual for yourself my guess is you couldn't be come connected with it through the use of a drug

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74273
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.