Agnostic.com

8 2

Whether anything (like an action or a moral) is right or wrong depends entirely on the circumstances. Example, killing is not wrong if it is done to defend your country or yourself. Stealing is not wrong if you are a Robin Hood.

• 10 votes
  • 8 votes
Grecio 7 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Except for rape, yeah lol

@TheMiddleWay How? What's the argument as I cannot see one.

I would like to agree with robin hood but I cannot.

can everyone see the poll results? I guess they can. The score is 7-7 right now.

I voted Yes but I still find the State sanctioned murder to be appalling, [death penalty] and certainly that is wrong.

It's like Schrödinger's cat, we only make a judgement call when we CHOOSE to observe the situations.

Yea, the cat is cat both alive and dead at the same time. If the Geiger counter picks up one photon, the hammer falls and breaks the glass of poisen. Good one.

I would do anything to protect my boy. If I have to kill someone to keep him safe, I will. If I lost my job and had no other means, I will steal. If something happened to my boy, I’d set the world on fire.

I can appreciate where you're going with this train of thought, but... is there a circumstance under which raping a child (or anyone, really) would be "the right thing to do?"

Not from our perspective, but it's okay; if you're Mohammed.

That is a good question. I am trying to think a case where raping a child would not be wrong. So far, I can't imagine a case where raping a child might not be wrong. Interesting thought.

@TheMiddleWay This argument presupposes that reproducing is firstly a better state than not, and secondly, to such an extent that it excuses rape. I disagree with both, obviously.

@TheMiddleWay What about raping a child who cannot reproduce?

@TheMiddleWay But you wouldn't be the last man on Earth in this scenario. There would be a woman there, and she can deny you permission to enter her body. Then you both eventually die and so does the human race. And no one knows or cares, because there aren't any more people. There's no one telling you that you must continue the human race. And there's no reason to believe that you need to have a baby to survive yourself. Future generations may be glad if you raped their ancestor, but it's still wrong.

Of course. But I'm sure somebody on here will think about this longer than I did, and come up with some good examples to prove me wrong.

Moral judgments in every case. Sometimes made by individuals and other times by society as a whole. Despite this, it is interesting to think how religious believers place all that judgment on their god(s). That is to say, killing is wrong (see the 10 Commandments) unless your god tells you to do it. Casting the first stone is wrong, unless a god has dictated it be done.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74378
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.