Agnostic.com

8 4

POLL 104 year scientist plans to end his life, opts for assisted suicide - YouTube

Do you think he is making a rational decision?

They only mention this bit I'm quoting from a friend in passing in the clip.

"Seriously fuck Edith Cowan University for stressing this respected scientist at 102 even if they did reverse their decision after 6 months to ban him from campus!
But 6 months without your reason for being at that age is a long time."

Now at 104 David Goodall has decided to end his life in Switzerland.

Not terminally ill, just had enough

• 28 votes
  • 1 vote
Kimba 7 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mr. Goodall was not terminally ill, but apparently he had frustrations in his life & felt he had enough. Each individual is unique, but how do any of us know how we'll feel about continuing living at 104 years old. We may feel we've had enough, & the disadvantages of continuing outweigh the advantages. Apparently he felt strongly enough he wanted to check out to kill himself. I wonder if we'd make the same decision. Whether we approve or disapprove really doesn't matter

I certainly understand his feelings...don't you?

I see no problem with someone of sane mind ending their life.

I admire his determination and I'm glad he had the opportunity to end his life as he chose. Why not?

On Thursday (May 10), he died according to plan in a secret location, putting an end to a life that, he said, had become increasingly difficult to live.

His right, weather christian or or not.

Also, when my time comes, If need be, I'm maxing out my credit cards, 1st class trip to the Swiss alps. Then the suicide, after a 2 week 1st class vacation. I'm not joking!

@BigDave ,
your idea makes way more sense than ending up, eventually, in a vegetative state in a hospital with shrieking & screaming going on.
i spent a total of 3 nights in hospitals; 2 for major surgery in which the avg stay was at least 2 days but managed to get out after 1 night after each of the 2 major surgeries (prostatectomy & broken hip).
i don't believe in the hell that the xtians believe in. hell for me would be to spend my last days in a hospital.
of course, if a patient is terminal they could send her/him to a hospice & keep that person totally out of out with painkillers until the end. but what's the point in that; it's hard on the family & just wasted money.

His life; his decision.

We can end the lives of our pets for quality of life concerns.
Yet we are not (for the most part) able to do that our selves.

I fully support Mr Goodall's decision.

I know, ain't that something.

The Australian scientist, who traveled from his home in Perth to Switzerland to end his life by assisted suicide, answered questions Wednesday about why he wanted to die and how he planned to do it.

When asked what song he wanted played at his bedside, he said he had not chosen one. But if he had to, it would be Beethoven’s 9th Symphony. Then he burst, spontaneously, into song, singing the words in German:

Freude, schöner Götterfunken
Tochter aus Elysium,
Wir betreten feuertrunken,
Himmlische, dein Heiligtum!

Goodall sat at a news conference Wednesday in Basel, wearing a shirt that read “Ageing Disgracefully” and dozing during reporters’ questions.

On Thursday, he died according to plan in a secret location, putting an end to a life that, he said, had become increasingly difficult to live.

When asked whether he had any hesitation about his plans to die, he responded: “No, none whatsoever.”

(Source: Washington Post Article)

And under personhood he should have that right. Not popular, I will fully agree, but his life/mind/body/ are his to do with as he pleases.

Disagree, allowing that will only give the wrong message to mentally handicapped people contemplating suicide. I hope it never becomes law here.

@buzz13 You seem to be imposing your opinion onto others in the same way that religious leaders do.

@KarlHannah I was talking about people with Mental issues wanting to commit suicide should not be allowed to use assisted suicide unless thoroughly discussed with professionals. Read it again, imposing my opinion onto others is not what was implied. I am glad someone helped me before I tried to pull the trigger on myself.

@buzz13 @KarlHannah The following is very personal, from my POV only. Please be warned it may need to have a trigger warning on it.

I have illnesses so bad, that death would be preferable. I set up a system with my friends & family to test if I'm really ready. So far, YEA!!! I'm still breathing AND I'm happier knowing I DO have an out if it gets too much.

@buzz13 Sometimes there are no professionals available. Sometimes communication is impossible due to the mental illness.

None of the platitudes or nuances in your second comment were even slightly implied in your first comment, but even in your second comment you're still imposing your opinion.

People have a right to make their final exit when, where and how they choose, as long as their choices don't impinge on the rights of others. I'm glad @MissaDixon has those options available to her. I hold zero bias on her choice to adopt those options. If she chose to relax those safeguards, I would be supportive of her right to choose that.

@KarlHannah It's sad that you do not have empathy for people suffering mental disabilities, a bit like how WWII Germany allowed the wholesale discrimination of disabled people by killing them. do you come to a site like this and inflict your misguided rhetoric and spew hatred. This site was established for people not involved in religious beliefs, yet you go around and accuse people of being like a religion.
You should leave this site and go spout your evil bent on FB.

@KarlHannah It wasn't necessary in the first comment. And forgive me for not being 'transparent' about being sick. I thought I had been in my profile listing.

@KarlHannah You need to go back to, 'Befriend Social Network' and argue there.

@buzz13 I'm sorry to hear about your battle for mental health. I think that a psychiatric assessment would need to be made prior to a self determined death. But if mentally well enough and able to make such a decision I do not see why a person would be denied the chance to a dignified death.

@girlwithsmiles True, but the commentator didn't read my meaning of my text. The offensive remark of his has been removed has been removed.

@MissaDixon When I had a stroke at age 38, it was INCREDIBLY comforting to know the house was full of long guns (ex an avid hunter) & I could end it all whenever I chose. Every day, for about 4 years, "is this the day?" No, not today, I can stand this for today......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74407
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.