Agnostic.com

4 7

Rationality

"The capacity of the rational mind to deceive, manipulate, scheme, trick, falsify, minimize, mislead, betray, prevaricate, deny, omit, rationalize, bias, exaggerate and obscure is so endless, so remarkable, that centuries of pre-scientific thought, concentrating on clarifying the nature of moral endeavor, regarded it as positively demonic. This is not because of rationality itself, as a process. That process can produce clarity and progress. It is because rationality is subject to the single worst temptation - to raise what it knows now to the status of an absolute."

• Jordon B. Peterson, "12 Rules For Life" p. 217
skado 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It also makes up stuff not recalled. Needs a complete picture, hence all the prisoners getting off when DNA evidence exonerated them when often convicted by eye witness testimony. The brain is amazing and fallable.

I hear eyewitness testimony is being used less and less these days, for just that reason!

@stinkeye_a That is good. When I was taking a neuropsychology class I partnered with a or else student to do a project and we picked that. I have been fascinated with neuroscience ever since. We watched all kinds of videos where info wasnt visible and we were sure it was and saw different things. So the false witness accounts may not even be intentional.

I love the thought process. I for one can identify with the descriptive word salad - I use it regularly when faced with having to vacuum, after I "manipulate, scheme, trick, falsify, minimize, mislead, betray, prevaricate, deny, omit, rationalize" I finally haul the evil machine outta the closet, put in my ear plugs, and git er done.

Seriously, after one has tried to over come all of that in the education process and STILL you have the batshit crazies like the evangelicals all you are left with is "Can't fix stupid" comedian Ron White.

Well Mr Jordon B Peterson did use the word rationality twice and rationalize once to define rationality.... Can't do that, that's a no-no

I don’t see where he claimed to be defining rationality. Care to elaborate?

@skado the posting subject is "rationality" and the offered text use the word within. That's what I had in mind when I wrote my response.

@IamNobody . . . . . I see, thanks. I added the title to Dr. Peterson’s words, to alert potential readers to the subject matter. Not intended to be a definition.

@skado Thanks for your comment, don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. I have a tendency to overthink things a little bit sometimes (sometimes kind of means all the time). It's all talking and exchanging opinion about anything. Have a nice Sunday....

100% verified, by the "prescientific thought" of the Buddhist and Dzogchen systems under which I study.

This is something that comes up a lot, actually.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:74601
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.