Agnostic.com

1 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I remember reading that book in high school, and finding it to be largely unexciting. While that book did a reasonably good job at detailing the savage nature of human beings when thrown into chaotic and dangerous scenarios, the ending really ruined it for me. The boys got rescued, but often times that sort of thing does not happen in reality, and most of us are left fending for ourselves.

Alas, that does appear to be the natural inclinations of human beings though, and why do you think we invented politics and religion? Need I say more, lol.

That all aside, I suppose some of the more darker satire in Lord Of The Flies could serve useful as a learning tool regarding human nature.

That book made me feel grubby. I may have been too young when I read it...
We had a Fabulous attic with Peyton Place and Bertrand Russell in it too!

I thought the boys getting rescued at the end was a great way to show the contrast in how far away from acceptable "civilized behavior" they had gone.

It isn't a book I'd like to red often, but it does show a well choreographed decline of civlized behavior(s) as different groups compete for greater power.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:750581
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.