Agnostic.com

2 5

LINK Election Deniers Are Overseeing Elections in 17 States -- Rolling Stone

(Republicans are planning for (republican) election officials to simply refuse to certify election results if Trump loses again.)

A new report highlights the threat posed by those who deny the validity of U.S. democracy

Fully one-third of U.S. states have election deniers in some of the highest positions overseeing elections. That’s according to a new report from States United Democracy Center highlighted by Mother Jones.

Although many election deniers lost their races in the 2022 midterms, States United, a non-partisan organization, found that a total of 23 election deniers now hold statewide office positions that give them influential oversight over elections in 17 different states. This includes seven governors, five secretaries of state, and 11 attorneys general.

In the state of Alabama, election deniers hold all three of those powerful positions. Gov. Kay Ivey has claimed the left “stole” the 2020 election from Donald Trump, and Attorney Gen. Steve Marshall has refused to acknowledge that Joe Biden was “duly” elected. Alabama Secretary of State Wes Allen has perpetuated false claims of voter fraud and supported Marshall’s endorsement of a suit filed by Texas claiming widespread voting irregularities in the 2020 election.

“From inside the halls of government, these Election Deniers are using their powers to weaken free and fair elections,” the center wrote in its report.

Many of these election deniers used election lies, including false claims of widespread voter fraud, to fundraise for their campaigns. Nine states have removed themselves from the Electronic Registration Information Center, which was designed to ensure the accuracy of voter rolls. Some election deniers have used their power to limit donations to fund election administration, while others have created or expanded units that prosecute election crimes, despite voter fraud being exceedingly rare. Others have denied the election more subtly, including claims that the indictments against Donald Trump are some form of election interference.

The center defined election deniers as candidates who falsely claimed Trump won in 2020 or attempted to undermine the integrity of the 2020 election, who refused to concede an election themselves or supported another candidate who refused to concede, who called on or pressured election officials not to certify results of the 2020 election or a subsequent race, or who spread election-related conspiracies and lies about 2020 or later elections.

Voter suppression is also on the rise. Since 2020, thirteen states have moved to restrict voting rights around mail in voting. Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Iowa and Texas all passed laws prohibiting or limiting access to drop boxes for absentee ballots.

Not only are election deniers in positions of power at the state level, there are currently three election deniers running for president in 2024: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, radio host Larry Elder and, of course, the election-denier-in-chief, Trump.

snytiger6 9 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been a volunteer Outside poll monitor for several elections now...we are assigned several locations and drive-through them all day long looking for any problems (long lines, improper signage, partisan signs too close to the entrance, hopefully no BS, and also are able to call a hot line at any time not only to report problems but also get help for any voter wanting it.
It is a country-wide organization and I look forward to doing it all again this year.
I vote early so I am free to make my rounds all day...the first time, many years ago I had a very rural area and 6 places to monitor and put 423 miles on my car in that one day, going about 35 mph at best over country roads.

What’s that line about the long arc of history bending toward justice?

We are not fucked.

It seems human progress is slow, but that is because our technology advances faster than we are evolving to adjust to advances in technology, and our evolution is very slow.

However, assuming we humans don't end up destroying ourselves, we are making very slow progress over all.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:750729
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.