Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Appeals court tosses voting conviction against Texas woman Crystal Mason -- The Hill

By Theresa Maher - 03/29/24

A state appeals court overturned a Texas woman’s illegal voting conviction Thursday after she was sentenced to five years in prison in 2018.

The acquittal from Texas’s 2nd Court of Appeals comes after years of legal battles for Crystal Mason, who drew national headlines after being handed the sentence for casting a provisional ballot in the 2016 presidential election while on supervised release for federal tax evasion, according to The Texas Tribune.

The 2nd Court of Appeals agreed with the argument Mason and her lawyers had been making for years: that she did not intentionally vote illegally and was unaware of Texas voting law at the time, the Tribune reported.

The text of the statute Mason had been charged and convicted under outlines that a person “commits an offense if the person … votes or attempts to vote in an election in which the person knows the person is not eligible to vote,” according to court documents.

In the decision, the court said there was insufficient evidence “to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she actually knew” that being on supervised release even after serving the entirety of her incarceration sentence “made her ineligible to vote by casting a provisional ballot.”

It’s the second time the 2nd Court of Appeals reviewed the case — having upheld the initial conviction in March 2020. Mason then filed a petition to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, and the state’s top criminal court instructed the lower appeals court to reconsider the case.

On its first review, the lower appeals court argued that a poll worker’s testimony saying he watched Mason read each line of an affidavit saying “if a felon, I have completed all my punishment including any term of incarceration, parole, supervision, period of probation, or I have been pardoned,” before signing it and casting her provisional ballot was sufficient evidence to convict her.

Despite acknowledging Mason’s assertion that she had not read that part of the affidavit and did not know she was legally ineligible to vote, the court argued that she “voted while knowing the existence of the condition that made her ineligible,” according to the March 2020 decision.

The fact she wasn’t actually aware of her ineligibility “was irrelevant to her prosecution,” the lower court had said.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled in May 2022 that the lower appeals court “erred by failing to require proof that the Appellant had actual knowledge that it was a crime for her to vote while on supervised release,” according to the decision.

The top criminal appeals court for the state instructed the 2nd Court of Appeals to “evaluate the sufficiency of the evidence under the correct interpretation of the statute.”

snytiger6 9 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is a well-tested principle in law and has been Forever. WTF??!!!!!!

It has been documented that felons who thought they were ineligible to vote, were told by people (who get paid to) registering voters that they were eligible, and when they voted, they were prosecuted for voting illegally.

I don't think such person should get off completely, but when there was no real intent to break the law, I don't think they should receive near maximum sentencing either, as originally happened in this case.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:751719
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.