Agnostic.com

1 0

Simpson's 2024 Predictions.

Well what did you miss?

FrayedBear 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

History provides lessons, for example when came in my first position at the Passive Fire Protection firm I eventually ended up running there was an office staff of twelve people.
I was just a part time salesman at first in 1998 and asked if I might bring in my own spare computer from home to link in to the business center intra-net/internet system. My bosses had no idea what I was talking about but since it was not going to cost them anything said it was fine.
The first thing I did was design a web site and get it on line, I switched for cold calling to e-mail and made an ISO file presentation, I could burn down on to disc as and when needed to send presentations to interested clients.
All the Bosses noticed was that the costs were going down and the work was going up. When our Book keeper left I put in a sage accounting and pay roll system, and increased my hours to full time. By 2001 I was the office manager and we had a staff of four, the annual turn over had tripled and the wage bill was down by two thirds.
This is the point where things got scary we had two partners who had founded the firm, one was a site manager the other was the estimator, the estimator began teaching me his job so I could cover for him during his vacation time, for fun I wrote a simple Excel programmed that could do 90% of his job and cut him down from four visits per client to one for measuring. He was happy enough and so was I, however when the other director saw this, decided to dissolve the partnership and hired an assistant to do the measuring, with me taking over as estimator using my spread sheet programmer.
He went from twelve office staff, and six on site subcontractors to me, a wages clerk and a shared secretary in the office, one director and four teams of four employee on site workers, in lo-jack monitored vans with built in cherry pickers.
Annual turn over had gone from £2.5K to over £1m in five years, simply because I brought in a computer and a few simple programs.
Now imagine today what a modern computer with built in AI can do, without even needing a semi competent arse like me, who had only bought his first computer (an The Amstrad PC1640 HD it did not even have Windows 3.1 it ran the gem desktop operating system and had a 20 megabyte HD that weighed over three pounds ) second hand four years before to use as a word processor. I still have that old dinosaur of a comp today, my wife's phone has over 100 times the computing power and takes up about an 16th of the space.
The computer I brought in to work was not much better, as I recall it ran windows 8 and microsoft office 2000. The boss upgraded me to a slightly better one in 2001 as I recall and again in 2007, but by that time I had had to back to part time working after my wife had her accident. I left completely in 2009, after arranging a merger with an Intumescent Paint manufacturer who wanted to go into passive fire protection and fire stopping and so cut out the middle man.
In short the future with AI in charge scare the shit out of me, especially now they can write music and scripts just on a prompt.

Loved your work history but despise your boss. I met people like him all the time. No brains, no decency, no gratitude. I experienced from the time that I left high school & joined George Wimpey on a traineeship that would have left me if completed at age 21 in a position that I could have achieved at 16 having left school at 14! My next job resulted in my indentured slavery to local chartered accountants. After one year I completed a major audit & annual accounts \ tax return preparation in 6 weeks of a 45 store retailer & wholesaler that the previous year had taken a 40+ yo senior 6 months to complete, that's if he ever did. I never reaudited it!
How right Cipollo was with his 5 basic laws of human stupidity.

@FrayedBear
I empathise my first job at 16 was for a chartered accountant too, they were a right bunch of old farts. As it turned out years later my father in law had done his articles at the same company 16 years before I did and we spent many a happy hours comparing stories about the arsehole partners, who were brothers and did nothing but sit in their offices and watch cricket on a portable TV they thought we did not know they had.

@LenHazell53 I only partly had that. The senior was primarily a stockbroker as that was part of the practice.. I had nothing to do with it.. The next was a Colonel Blimp type who used to have to sleep off his liquid lunches all afternoon but I had little to do with him. The man I worked for was a Scottish F.C.A. alcoholic who I had a lot of respect for - so much that I didn't shag his wife until after he was dead at a very young early 40's. I've never known anyone who so ruthlessly got drunk. . . I used drink at the same pub. He would solidly drink from 6pm. until by 8pm. he was so intoxicated that his face was sheet white with every muscle paralysed. I was told that he went from a very intelligent 14 stone vibrant human being into a 7 stone slobbering imbecile. I refused to go & see him.
Interestingly I got my next job with Peats because they knew of me not because of any accounting expertise but because I became a sort of union representative campaigning for decent & fair wages.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:753115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.