Agnostic.com

7 3

Have you ever been proselytized at Wal-Mart before by a cashier?

I evade a certain Wal-Mart in my city now because of a old, religious, cashier male. I walked right into this one. My atheist ex friend saw it coming. I sort of did to. It was my turn to pay for my groceries. The cashier said, "It's such a great day today." I asked why and then saw my answer that I feared. He said, "Because god has blessed me so much and he is coming back for us all." I just stared at him, lost for words. My ex friend said, "It's not right to proselytize people at Wal-Mart." He asked what that word meant. My ex friend said, "Preach!" The old man shut up and told me my total. We took my shit and left that Wal-Mart for good.

Sarahroo29 8 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a cashier explain to me that bar codes are the mark of the beast

Wow.

Not by a cashier, but a Pentecostal woman, who asked what my faith was and I told her,” I didn’t have a faith. I worship no Gods or Goddess.” All she did was tell me,” I will pray for you.”

I would be like, "F you too!"

I was raised Pentecostal. I've gotten this from some of my Mom's friends. I usually tell them to knock themselves out, it is not going to change me.

My reply to that is always "Why thank you, I hope that makes you feel better."

How is getting a job at Walmart even consider to be a blessing? How is having to shop there a blessing either?
Frankly if that happened to me at any store I would call out the manager, as it is totally disrespectful and an attack on peoples beliefs. Here in Canada it may even be an attack on one Charter Rights.
Of course here Walmart is noted for hiring the stupidest of people; you know the one that actually get off on doing the Wally Squiggly.

I could not get hired at Wal-Mart. It was because it their automated applications. My social number has sequential numbers.

@Sarahroo29, Consider yourself fortunate.

Not in a store, but I did when I was in the hospital recovering from quadruple-bypass surgery.

Many years ago my mother chased down a bus load of evangelicals and slapped down the preacher and admonished the rest of them for doing that to my sister who was in hospital deathly ill with scarlet fever.

Wow, go mom.

I worked at Walmart for 7 months as a greeter. The store was in a small town that serviced many small towns (in other words - hick towns). One woman wanted to pray for me. I said "sure," thinking I would be put on a prayer chain or something like that. But noooooooooo. She put her hand on my shoulder and prayed out loud. I was horribly embarrassed. Later in the break room, I mentioned the incident and how I thought it was inappropriate. The comments I received from other employees started with, "Well, I'm a Christian and it wouldn't bother me." They could not understand why anyone would object to this. Since Trump was elected, I have gone back into the closet. With the blue-collar people I work with, if they ask me my religion (which they shouldn't), I tell them I'm Jewish. Because Bible Belt Christians love Jews - they feel sorry for us because we don't have Jesus. But if I said "atheist," they would be terrified.

My work has all Xians.

As I never shop at Wal-Mart, it isn't going to happen. Just don't go there.

Talk to his manager. No need to avoid the store just because of one inappropriate comment by one mannerless person.

I'm not going back there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7619
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.