Agnostic.com

5 0

Religion In Politics And Constitutional Issues. Do they gel?

Britain has a royal family, it is a MONARCHY, the head of this family is the Queen, HRH Queen Elisabeth Regina Windsor, she is also the head of The Church Of England.
The United States has a President, it is a FEDERATION.
The incumbent leader or President is an IMBECILE, this isn't just my opinion, I have read many posts on social media from disgruntled Americans so it is an opinion which is shared.
Britain is a Christian country although as you walk around the towns and cities, you would never know it, we don't shout about it, children here are not required to make a commitment to God, religion is for the most part, not something which is rammed down our throats.
America is a highly religious country, God Fearing is the phrase that springs to mind, particularly in the south where thy have The Bible Belt.
Why is America so God fearing?
Politics in Britain doesn't have any central point around a religious belief, OKAY, the state opening of parliament is conducted by the head of the Church Of England but then she is also the Head Of State, not just in Britain but in other countries around the world, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, these are just a few, British politics is not directly influenced by religion although The Archbishop of Canterbury tries to flex his muscles but to no avail whereas in America, religion seems to take a strong role in political life, in everyday life, heck, new immigrants are required to take an oath in which God plays a major role.
I know that I have been waffling on but I also think that I have gotten my point out there.
My question is this.
Does religion have any relevance in politics and vice versa?

meister268 5 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does religion have any relevance in politics and vice versa?

No. The US was founded upon the concept that began with ancient Greek city-states, that religion should play no part in the the political (governmental) decisions made in the best interests of the citizenry, as enshrined in the Constitution (that the Right like to cherry-pick, as they do biblical text, for their own purposes) to incorporate de Montesquieu's secularist proposition of the separation of powers. The rise of fascism within America can be seen to walking very firmly hand-in-hand with the fundamenatlist, exclusive and uncompromising theocratic impulse of the Christianity the Founding Fathers worked to exclude from civic decision-making.

America as a fascist state? I can see that.

The Right hijacked Christianity some time ago, as a means to advance the notion of "identity" politics (putting religious decrees, as in the prohibition of safe abortion, ahead of political concerns) that persuades many of the electorate to choose to vote against their own economic interest, instead voting to oppress, for example, the LGBT community in a classic case of divide and conquer.

Like all aspects of our lives - we should base our important descisions on a rational basis. Critical thought should be brought into play and policy should be set with due regard to the evidence not doctrine, baying mobs or scripture.

No, none, zero, and should not !!! Unfortunately, the current political climate in the world is so heavily influenced by bogus beliefs, it’s become totally uncomfortable.
Such hypocrisy, un-effing believeable !

Tomas Level 7 May 13, 2018

Calling the UK a Christian country is technically true, though population wise the majority of the populous are non practicing Christians but the church of England does of course have a vastly disproportionate influence on UK politics.
You are actually mistaken the Arch Bishops and bishops (26 in all) of the church of England have a seat each in the upper house of parliament (House of Lords) and a vote on the passing or reconsidering of legislation. Also the Queen has a royal veto, it is rarely used but does exist.
The UK is in this respect one of the only four western theocracies.
UK/commonwealth, Israel, Utah, the Vatican.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78574
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.