Agnostic.com

2 1

Are we good or evil?

Is it fair to say that human beings are a mix of both good and evil?

No matter how cruel, merciless or mean a person might seem. They will also have a small part of them which is good. (Even if its a 99:1 ratio).

I'm just going to give a controversial example. The Nazi's
Anyone who thinks for 1 second that all Nazi's are bad, is a lunatic. A Nazi could've been a great father to their children, a great teacher to their students. What people fail to realize is that allied propaganda spread throughout the world and became history. I, as a human of the 21st century would have no hatred towards a Nazi. The reason being that they have done nothing to me, so why should I hate them? I could hate their ideals, their actions, etc. But hating them just for existing is a monstrous thing to do.

I'd say I respect the Nazi's. They brought their nation out of an economic depression, they fed the hungry, built shelter for the homeless. They brought their country back from the brink of complete destruction. Which for a nation of the early to mid 1900's is amazing. Seeing as modern day politicians not only make no significant change to improve peoples lives, they actively deny that these types of problems exist (homelessness, rising crime, drug trafficking, human trafficking, government corruption, etc.).

I'm not saying that I like Nazi's. I'm just saying I have nothing against them. I am only using them as a example.

Lancer 7 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dude how can you respect Nazi's in the context of today? Would you respect the Tories if they managed to sort our economy by putting Poles or Muslims in work camps? I appreciate the utilitarianism however can any majority real feel comfortable enjoying wealth and privilege at the cost of a minority. In the case you espouse surely any Nazi, good father or not, paid a massive moral price if they knew the extent to which Jews were being scapegoated for the benefit of the country. As subjective as good and evil can appear to be there are values connected to goodness. Therefore if someone doesn't value honesty, justice, human rights, decency, laws etc. then they can be described as evil - anyone who then supports them certainly loses the right to call themselves good.
In response to your point on modern politicians it is wiser to look at how often they use Hitler's tactics to divide and rule. Furthermore they don't deny the problems listed but persistently underfund attempts to deal with them. The problem there is capitalism, and most likely always will be.
You seem also to assume that a person must hate someone they view as evil and that hatred should be directed only to their views. I agree you shouldn't hate evil people but that is more for your own benefit than theirs, hate is never a good emotion to maintain. However you cannot ignore the choice they make to hold those views whether it be through wilful ignorance or rationalised argument. I therefore reserve the right to dislike anyone who likes Nazi's.

That's a fairly good point.

I just personally try to stay neutral in most issues.

However I just want to point out that imposing my values of life, freedom, equality, etc. On someone else is wrong. The west did it to the Middle East and now the reverse is happening. I just see the blood being shed in the western world as a result of the blood of Muslims, Christians and Jews that we killed in the Middle East. It's just an exchange.

I steer clear of affiliating with political or religious organisations for that very reason. I will never let another persons ideal become my ideal. That is what has perpetuated a cycle of conflict that will last centuries. I will live by my own ideal, my own values because I can control them and I am not manipulated by them.

What people fail to realise is that every government has sacrificed their citizens in preference of self preservation. England, America, Australia, China, France, etc. The list is endless. No country truly considers their citizens lives to be worth very much. Which I find unfortunate but I don't think nations should agree with my value for human life.

good and evil are objective terms on the surface. But they are based on opinions from a person with specific values. Making their use subjective.

Not much else to say. I'm just rambling anyway.

Have a nice day.

I think the previous commenter already addressed Nazi's so I will address you're original question. Are we good or evil? Well in actuality I would say neither as there is no such thing as an objective view of good or bad. Both those things are subjective, or rather completely dependant on our own points of view.

That said in my personal view of good and evil the answer would be yes. We all contain the capacity for good and bad. It is up to every person to decide how they will be.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7859
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.