Agnostic.com

3 5

LINK Welcome Back, Pluto? Planethood Debate Reignites

The debate over the planethood of Pluto rages on. Planet; dwarf planet; neither of these....this is an interesting and fascinating subject and surprisingly a hot topic. People really get fired up about Pluto. I'm posting a pic to demonstrate. I have a lingering fondness for Pluto as a planet but will let the chips fall where they will. (This is NOT an issue that I'd, say, take to the streets over. Lol.)

BookDeath 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Me too

We discover new things, find new ways of looking out across the expanse. Pluto was discovered before we knew anything about the Keiper Belt, and Ort Cloud, along with all the other never before seen objects. Come to find out there are many, many objects orbiting the sun that is close in size, even larger than Pluto (see Eris), and the actual size of Pluto is far smaller than the next smallest planet: Mercury. Pluto is only 70% the size of the moon!

People, let go of your biases. Pluto was discovered, given a name, and was made an object of intrigue for a few generations. People got attached to the little guy before we even understood much of anything about it, it's human nature. Science and technology had to come along and ruin it I guess. Now we have Planetoids, or Dwarf Planets, which is a whole new area of discovery! Instead of looking at Pluto as an "ex-planet", look at it as our favorite dwarf planet!

Science got us this far, stop trying to throw the wrench of "traditions" into the gears of progress, let it go.

For me, this is simple. If it orbits a sun and it has natural moons, it's a planet.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78716
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.