Agnostic.com

9 5

Evolutionary Psychology for embarrassment

I got curious today. I have a two year old that is still in diapers, and whenever she needs to poop, she hides and doesn’t want you to go near her. My son reacted the same way when he was her age, but to a lesser degree as well. She seems embarrassed and my wife and I have not taught her to be shameful about that. It’s seems instinctive and it makes me wonder if there’s an evolutionary reason for wanting privacy while pooping. I realize it’s kind of a weird question, but it’s just one of those that quick google search didn’t really suffice.

orlando78413 3 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've not heard of this before. Most examples of young children like this have been the other way around.

I don't think it is just humans, my dog goes off and hides, previous dogs have always gone far from the house.

You nailed it brother... a lot of my pit falls came from instinct or hereditary or born with it. I was freaking nuts as a kid. I found out later that my dad was too. Theres a lot of things that I thought about that no one ever told me. Yes.... i believe stuff like being crazy can be passed down to you.

It’s a very compromising position that probably makes her feel vulnerable.

I read an article on dogs once pointing out that the strange looks your dog gives you when pooping has a lot more to do with checking to see that your watching their back than embarrassment. Maybe little kids experience something similar?

Edit: lol, I seem to have plagiarized GuyKeith a couple of posts down. ???

Foggy Level 4 May 13, 2018

Mine tended to do that once we began attempting toilet training, and since they didn't like the toilet, they'd hide when pooping. Ice cream as a bribe worked for my middle daughter.

Could very well be...

Well, you know, fresh feces might draw predators close to the den. Or at least being in that situation makes you vulnerable to predation.

It may be an evolutionary response to being vulnerable to predators while you are in a "compromised" position. In the military, they include this as part of the training. There are no privacy stalls in the barracks. You must learn to get comfortable with other people watching, because they have to protect you while you are vulnerable.

Times have changed, like many things, barracks have privacy stalls. Granted it doesn't do much when we hear those dog tags jangling in the middle of the night, or when we see that faint blue glow from the porto-john; we know what you're up to! and it ain't poopin!

Our cats seem to prefer privacy as well. The dogs? Not so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.