Agnostic.com

3 0

QUESTION How religious groups are responding to the Masterpiece Bakeshop Supreme Court case - Vox

If the Court rules in favor of Phillips, it would be a huge blow to LGBTQ civil rights laws — and not just in the context of bakeries. It could also open a legal path to anti-LGBTQ discrimination in multiple settings, from the workplace to housing, by letting business owners — even in states where such discrimination is prohibited — cite their religious beliefs to discriminate.

At the same time, it’s worth remembering that should the Supreme Court find against Phillips, they may be setting precedents — about the degree to which religious beliefs should be kept out of the public sphere, about artists’ free expression — that could, down the line, also be used against other marginalized groups.

zblaze 7 Dec 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will also be a blow to the businesses. People will boycott those businesses they feel are discriminatory. There is plenty of precedent for this and often corporations have had to back down.

I once was involved with a city park that was created for the Boy Scouts but later turned over to the city. While I was there the Boy Scouts were banned from receiving financial aid from the city and people took a dim view of them when they used the park. The Girl Scouts, however, got a grant to use the park for weeks (This was the only city park in the country where there were cabins, bathrooms with showers, Fire pits, a climbing rock and a lot of other state park amenities). I think the Boy Scout acceptance of gays is a response to amend their discriminatory practices. But they still don't acknowledge of atheists, though.

It might come down to allowing discrimination but having to post any such discriminatory practices at the entrance to your establishment. That way anyone that didn't agree could simply boycott said premises.

gearl Level 8 Dec 13, 2017

Excellent

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.