Agnostic.com

7 1

Halloween: is it “really” just about costumes and candy?

For some, it’s just a day to wear a costume, get candy, and have fun; for others, it means something else.

GoodMan 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Halloween has deep meaning for some individuals I know who are pagans/wiccans. Being that I'm not religious though, Halloween is mostly about eating some good candy and going to a party or two.

For me, it means a day to have fun and enjoy some spookiness, candy, maybe even wear a costume. But I also used to be really into Wicca, so some of the affection I had for Samhain remains. Samhain is the Celtic holiday in which the veil to the dead is the thinnest, so you could ideally communicate with them through divination or scrying. I'm not sure how much of that is really true, but it's certainly fascinating to think about while enjoying some apple cidar lol.

It is about the harvest. Samhain

It is a bastardization of the ancient Celtic festival Samhain.

Just like Christmas was about the Winter Solstice, Halloween is about the Autumnal Fall Equinox. Nights getting Longer and scary while the Days get Shorter. I like the Longer Nights actually, because now we have electricity for better lighting and have a more Populated world. We know more about our Nights with more Lighting, Security & Night Life and I think it is less Scary then it used to be. I don't care to get into how they made Halloween all the Creepy Death and Evil Horror Stuff for the Entertainment. I rather give the Long Nights a Good Vibration for Life of Mysticalness and Peace. I think the Nights can be more Pleasing than having to be Scary by how we can make our Mind Frames about things.

3chainz music

In most communities in the US, yes; it's a commercialized holiday. It makes me sad that so many towns consider it an inconvenience. I live in a town that has begun establishing official "hours" for trick or treaters, and some years, don't allow kids to do it on the actual date. I still try to go out of my way for scary movies and candy for the kids. I love the history of our various holidays, and this one has always been my favorite. (I've been a fan of Stephen King since I was 10, fyi)

Alissa

It means turning off the lights and get to bed early. After handing out candy of course.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.