Agnostic.com

0 1

LINK Neuroscientists find first evidence animals can mentally replay past events: Discovery of episodic memory replay in rats could lead to better treatments for Alzheimer's disease -- ScienceDaily

Episodic memory in rats:

Many biologists and even just plain old ordinary animal lovers might say, “Duhh! Of course other animals can mentally replay past events!!”

That’s kind of the way I feel: Of course they can do this!

... So this isn’t exactly a surprise, right?!

But because there has been a history of debate, and because various persons over the years have expressed doubts regarding animal cognition, it is important to test theories, to seek and compile very specific, detailed evidence as much as possible.

And the evidence does show us quite clearly that other animals’ brains work basically the same way as our brains do. The more alike two organisms are, e.g. genetically/ biochemically and anatomically, the more precise you would expect the functional similarities to be, right? Especially when you observe similar outward behavior, and especially when you understand the general history of evolution.

For cultural reasons, it also continues to be significant for many of us to learn and understand that human thought and memory are rooted in biology, which is to say that they are natural, biochemical processes, not the exclusive function of an imagined immaterial, supernatural soul or spirit restricted to humans and contrived personal divinities.

Does such in any way remove awe, mystery, gratitude, appreciation, value?

Or does it enhance these?

For me, it enhances, enriches.

— — — — —

As often happens, I noticed that the prime justification given for this research is that it “could lead to better treatments for Alzheimer's disease,” ... “could help advance the development of new DRUGS to treat Alzheimer's disease.”

I intensely favor Alzheimer’s research, given that I saw first hand what the disease did to my own grandfather, in addition to so many others.

However, sometimes I still like to think that such knowledge is valuable in and of itself, per ipse, for the sake of understanding nature (which is also to say “ourselves&rdquo😉, and not only for the manufacture of drugs and the financial profit derived therefrom.

Not to be too cynical. I strongly support drug development, and I wish my grandfather could have benefited from better drugs.

#AnimalIntelligence #Neuroscience #Memory #Cognition #Science #Rats #Hippocampus #EpisodicMemory

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180510150216.htm

bodhi1 4 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82254