Agnostic.com

2 0

It's unbelievably difficult to get a devout christian to even consider the possibility that their faith might be invallid.

Simply presenting them with strong evidence of 'unchristian' things like evolution, and continuous civilization for the last 10000 or so years (blowing Noah's flood out of the water) just doesn't work.

I find myself wondering what it is that can make apparently sane people so desperate to hold onto their fantasies that they will actively and deliberately reject hard evidence in order to do so.

Is it genuine fear of divine retribution in hell? Is it pride - the fact that giving up their faith means they would have to accept they were gullible, and had spent their lives believing nonsense? Is it a sense of tradition and loyalty, defending religion because that's their 'cause'? Or is it just that they're intellectually bone idle and 'god did it' is SO much easier than actually thinking?

What are your thoughts?

Why ARE devout christians so unshakable in their intellectual blindness?

ToakReon 8 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me it was being a part of something greater than myself i.e. church. Being "guided" in life so I had fewer uncertainties. I really believed someone was listening when I prayed. I left when I realized I didn't need something greater than me in my life, when I came to believe that the "guidance" I was receiving was deeply flawed and racist. (the Mormon Church)

I have often wondered about this myself. I have come up with a couple of ideas. One thing, I believe some of them fear death and there isn't anything else beyond that. The concept of ceasing to exist can be very daunting. Another thought I had has to do with justice. Some people are only able to cope with the bad things that happen when they have a sense of a payoff or of someone getting what's coming to them. I have heard people say, "He may have gotten away with...(whatever)... but in the end, he will have to answer to God." I also think in denying their religious beliefs would have to force some people to take responsibility for their actions and realize their was no entity tempting them or influencing their behavior. Just a few thoughts I have had. I love your ideas you have put forth as well.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8244
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.