Agnostic.com

5 2

QUESTION Can Celebrity Scientists Change The Way People Think About Science And Religion? : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

It's also unclear whether learning about Collins shifted perspectives because he explicitly endorsed collaboration, or because his identity as a scientist and a Christian was itself a challenge to some forms of conflict. Similarly, it could be that Dawkins was unpersuasive not because his perspective was itself unconvincing, but because respondents found him less credible or trustworthy: Research has consistently found that, on average, Americans distrust atheists far more than they distrust religious believers.

In my view, one of the most interesting results was that Dawkins's position didn't backfire by prompting those with religious inclinations to acknowledge a conflict between science and religion, but to choose to resolve it in favor of religion. This could be because the description of his view was — for Dawkins — fairly tame.

zblaze 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think scientists writing or speaking on this subject can slowly "chip away" at the walls of religious belief in favor of science & rationality, especially in the young who may not have had their mind-view quite solidified, yet.

Yes, love me some Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

While I will watch celebrity scientists, they irritate me because of the way they 'dumb down' their subject to the level of the most feeble minded. It's all about ratings. Science and religion are two entirely separate areas of human endeavour so dialogue between them will, invariably, be unproductive.

Ironically, it was an effort by our former prime minister Margaret Thatcher on a program called Take Nobody's Word For It who most impressed me by demonstrating simple experiments which could be done at home.

I have one for you. You may have heard that electromagnetic radiation (eg from your mobile/cell phone) may be harmful. Personally I doubt it, but are you being exposed to it?

Your microwave oven (I think you call it a radar range in the US) uses radiation of a similar frequency to your mobile - except that the mobile produces 1/10th of a watt while your oven produces around 900 watts. So you would be exposed to much more radiation defrosting chicken than speaking on the phone unless something blocks it. The local aerial that your mobile connects to uses, at most,10 watts and it's probably a mile away so radiation from that - which you are exposed to all the time - is miniscule.

The door of an oven has a screen to block the radiation from getting out. If 900 watts can't get out then a tiny amount of radiation from a low power aerial a mile away can't get in right?

Here's the experiment: Put your mobile phone in the microwave. (DO NOT TURN THE OVEN ON!).

Then phone yourself from another phone. If a tiny amount of radiation from a distant aerial gets through the oven door your phone will ring. That means massive amounts of radiation get out while you are re-heating leftovers.

Try it.

(Remember to take your phone out of the oven.)

Think about all of the elements (scientific facts and religious fallacies) that went into your personal, (if I may be so presumptuous) atheist conclusion. I think for a lot of people with educations in scientific fields, it is not so much hearing or reading the evidence that disproves the magic tricks (if you will) of religion, but learning the equations and science behind behind that evidence. Even today, when we are faced with new data, I'm pretty sure most of us need a second source before running and shouting from the rooftops.

To me atheism is not a conclusion or a certainty. It is simply a personal 'non belief' of claims of the supernatural

Before Dawkins and a few others. I did not know how to questions Religion. Today I fearlessly question everything, even this site. Many don't like it when you question their group. I find people often get so defensive about their group to a point of being unethical. Such as the over ego world we live in. I'm most interested in the individual first. We are united as bio -organism first , love and nature , not an unexplained Supernatural. Science is to observe, to lead the blind. To over focus on Science would be lame. Diversity is our best strength and way to advance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8322
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.