Agnostic.com

16 3

How long did it take you to go from agnosticism to atheism? For me, it took 9 years. (I was very busy). I always had questions since about age 8, but didn't go agnostic until about age 38.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was pretty young. 7 or 8 and a kid told me Santa wasn't real, and the thought process went pretty quickly. It wasn't a traumatic thing for me. To be honest when I was in high school amd started encountering Mormons and Born Agains my thoughts were basically confusion that someone could be that old and still believe that crap.

Then I realized the planet I was living on.

I think I went from hating God straight into atheism, as a teen.

There is nothing mutually exclusive about the knowledge position -- [a]gnosticism -- and the belief position -- [a]theism. Since leaving theism, I have been both. They influence each other but vary independently.

I only ever said agnostic as a teen to avoid bs from the religious. As far as I am concerned always been atheist.

I grow up in atheist family, so for me it wasnt a big deal to not believe in fairytales

Waffled between the two from age 12 to 18. Atheist since then. 44 years now and counting.

I don't see the correlation. I don't see it as a scale... either you believe there is no God (based on the evidence/lack of evidence) or you believe that there isn't enough evidence to make a determination.

I'm of the latter, and I believe it's just as irrational to say "There is no God" as opposed to "There is a God"

I know for a fact : I don't know, and cannot prove either. But from what I observe, Religion is total bullshit. Thus - agnostic. (And Anti-thiest, for that matter)

So I disagree that you go from Agnostic to Atheist. Some might, but without empirical proof one way or the other, I'll be staying agnostic.

39 years and counting.

Went directly to confirmed athiest by age 20.

If I have the courage to admit to myself that I am not an agnostic but an athiest, I would say two years. However, I have not taken the final step yet. I am close....

@icolan
Closing the door completely; there is no god.

@icolan Thank you. I believe you are correct.

Always been a nonbeliever.
Didn't know much about religion til I started school.
Seemed ridiculous when I did hear.
Nothing since has changed that assessment.

I skipped the agnostic step. I remember reading Bertrand Russell's essays on the subject as a teenager and felt his thinking was as insightful as anyone. I still do, and I've read a lot. The agnostic position is simply problematic to me and I've never adopted it.

I was like you. With all the BS about how pure and good belief was, it took a long time to accept the fact (as I now know it) that there is nothing beyond life and no reason for it. Say you shut down a computer, disconnect the power supply and the battery. Then take out the back up battery the computer goes dead. Such is the human brain and with it the body. The people I've seen die have lost consciousness before they died which convinced me the mind or the soul lives on. Along that line it seems "seeing" a tunnel or a bright light means they aren't dead yet. Good luck with your quest.

I have always been an atheist.

Since birth.

Practically speaking, zero days, since my viewpoint didn’t change much and I was essentially already atheist. It probably took about 5 years of agnosticism before I really realized the true definitions, how they aren’t mutually exclusive and dared to use the term atheist though.

I've been an agnostic atheist since about seventeen years of age.

Athos Level 5 May 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86271
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.