Agnostic.com

12 2

LINK How you define control?

"It’s impossible to love someone and control them at the same time." What is too much for you, where is your limit?

JolkaKlejn 4 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you love somebody why would you want to control them? A realationship should be about supporting each other. IMO

You can ONLY control yourself. It's your CHOICE to give someone else control.

Then again, relationships are about sacrificing yourself a bit for the greater good.

As for my limit, I wouldn't let someone just dictate much to me. They're free to make bids on my time, my emotions and I'm free to negotiate, counter, reject or give in if that'll work for both of us.

Thankfully, I've never dated a really controlling woman. One was pretty jealous, but knew that and kept that in check.

Generally when people need to control others, achieving that doesn't make them happier. Know thyself and unfuck yourself.

" It's your CHOICE to give someone else control." on one hand I agree, on other this is just victim blaming until we are living in patriarchal world.
Cause most of women in the world are taught to give control and punished if not.

@JolkaKlejn I'm not sure "most women" are taught to give up control, at least not in more modern cultures. Many third world countries women have little control though.

Stating an objective fact shouldn't be read as shaming. If someone genuinely feels out of control ,then they don't have control. Helping them to see the power they do have is empowering, not victim blaming

I know abused women feel helpless and that's pretty messed up. In the USA we're still largely taught we MUST be attached to someone, which is another messed up message to send when you're just not ready to be in a relationship

Big caveat on that, I tend to hang out with mostly professional people. DV hits all SES, but outside of volunteering I personally haven't run into anyone who has talked about being abused by a spouse for a long time. I've met a handful of men and women who were abused years ago, but found their own voice and power. OF course maybe they get hurt at home and don't talk about it, but that seems fairly unlikely with people I hang out with.

Tonight for instance I hung out w a couple in their early 50s, she her ex was an alcoholic and she ditched him for threatening a kid with a weapon nearly a long time ago.

Others at the birthday party was a single professional female who has no desire to be in a relationship and a lesbian couple who got married 10+ years ago. A new couple who just got pregnant and are both very outgoing.

Again, maybe a couple is hiding something but domestic abusers tend to disallow socializing and micromanage their victim's time.

I do know some of the women at a restaurant I worked at 20+ years ago were abused and felt helpless.

"I'm not sure "most women" are taught to give up control, at least not in more modern cultures. " Modern cultures? You mean western Europe and USA? Patriarchal as hell.

@JolkaKlejn How do you define the patriarchy? Do you see "western" history as almost entirely negative for women?

The ability to direct and manipulate something or someone.

"control" in the context of a relationship , is usually held by the one who loves less.
Another kind of control is one that I've never done well with , as I'm pretty solid in myself, and will push firmly back ! I don't do well under anyone's thumb.

...the one who loves less. Food for thought, there.

Dominatrix.

No one should have to fit someone else's reality. There's a way out.

"20 Signs Your Partner is Controlling," by Andrea Bonior Ph.D., Psychology Today, June 1, 2015.

[psychologytoday.com]

"The Best Way to Deal with Controlling People," Berit Brogaard D.M.Sci., Ph.D, Psychology Today, June 15, 2015

[psychologytoday.com]

All relatipnships have give and take. Most people want the best for people they love and don't want them to do things against their interest. All people also have their own self interest in mind as well. It can be a very fine line. Everyone wants to get their way and if you are in a relationship with someone that often requires convincing them to be on the same page as you.
If someone is physically abusing a partner, keeping them from friends and family, not letting them do things without them, demanding to look through their private accounts exc.. This is obviously over the line. There are also many other subtle ways people control each other. It's sometimes hard to spot or define. If one person has more power than the other and uses it to belittle the other or "keep them in line" it is usually a bad situation.

MsAl Level 8 May 21, 2018

There doesn't need to be control if both parties respect each other's boundaries and autonomy. Some couples have open and clear communication, like adults, which eradicates the need for mind games.

Too much is any where a partner relationship is concerned. Each person must be allowed to be the individual that they are w/o interference from others. Part of a lasting relationship is accepting the person as they are and not trying to change, or control them. People who are controlling are typically very insecure with themselves and believe they don't deserve their partner so she/he must be cheating or whatever. TRUST is so important. So, no, I don't believe any control is warranted for lasting relationships.

A little bit of tough love/ball bustin is fine if it seems good natured and like they’re looking out for my best interests. When the manipulation becomes guilting or in regards to things that are clearly for their benefit and not yours, it starts crossing the line.

Define love....i have a sub definition of it being a desire to monopolize and control that person... at least that's a definition I had concocted thru seeing how various relationships (mine included) have turned out. Unfortunately, I have seen men utilize this definition more so than women.....with that being said....can mysoginy be inherited?

Hutch Level 7 May 21, 2018

A controlling partner can kill a relationship. It stems from fear and insecurities, often learned in a childhood lived in out of control environments such as drugs and alcohol, abusive adults, and/or overcontrilling parents or other adult caretakers. For me, a general sense of trust and respect are key. The idea that occasional missteps or screwupss are not devastating and do not have to threaten the foundation of the relationship. Also, some level of fluidity in boundaries.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86901
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.