Agnostic.com

2 2

Definition of atheist

I am having a terrible time with a level 7 person on this site who does not understand the burden of proof rests on the theist to demonstrate his/her positive god exists assertion. He argues atheists do not believe in god so they have the burden of proof to prove a god does not exist. His last nugget of nonsense is:

"I wager most atheists on this board would claim that god is not real. If that were the case, would that sway you to the fact that you and your friends usage of atheism is erroneous or not?"

So lets find out.

If anybody is interested in joining this argument here is the link. [agnostic.com]

• 16 votes
  • 2 votes
NoMagicCookie 8 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Two votes for pricing a negative. Where am I again?

Whoever you are talking to about this is really confused. Atheism is the null hypothesis and it can’t be proven to be true, therefore there doesn’t need to be a burden of proof for atheists. But there are some atheists that will go the extra step and say there are 100 percent no gods at all. And I will definitely be on their side if it’s gnostic theist vs gnostic atheist. But I believe everyone is an agnostic, atheism and theism is just taking a stance on the proposition. Claiming 100 percent knowledge is pretty silly in my opinion.

@irascible I agree in a sense. If that specific god does exist though, then he was wrong about a lot of things. But that would be in contradiction to the scriptures then. So I agree.

@irascible yeah good stuff. But do you claim 100 percent certainty about anything supernatural that we currently can’t test? That’s where I’d say I’m 99.9999 percent, but can’t take the extra step and say 100 percent like we both can for a specific god like the one in the Bible.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.