Agnostic.com

9 2

How do people react when you refer to their beliefs as a mythology?

When I talk about the beliefs of common religions around where I live, I use the term "mythology" in the same way most people use it to talk about Greek or Hindu pantheons. Do you do the same and, if so, how do people react when you use those terms? Personally, I use "Abrahamic mythology" for Judaism, Islam and Christianism, though if I talk of something that's present in only one of them, I'll use Christian mythology if it's from Christianism...

MarcO 5 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What the Bible REALLY is is a FAMILY HISTORY! God is a vain and jealous women and the Devil is a man and they fight about sex money and kids! When they made God into a man the whole story stopped making sense!

I've used the term, and it doesn't garner a good reaction, but the religious will insist that polytheism is the worship of false gods, while monotheism is the light and the way. They can never explain why or what the difference is. They can never argue a point correctly because they can't see anything beyond their point of view. In other words, most pro debaters will be very knowledgeable about any opposing argument, and even be willing to play devil's advocate, but most religious people can't see past their own thought bubble.

Just ask them about non-Abrahamic monotheist religions, like Zoroastrianism or Sikhism 🙂

I think there's a common understanding, at least in the USA, that mythology refers to an abandoned or dead religion, such as Greek Mythology and Norse Mythology. So using the word to refer to someone's beliefs seems to be intended to be offensive, and perhaps even cruel. I can't see any other reason to use "mythology" instead of "religion."

Mythology refers to a number of myths which forms the base of a system of beliefs A myth is defined as "a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events", that are considered true to those who adhere to that system of beliefs. I believe referring to other religious beliefs, present or past, in a different way than your own is a form of discrimination - that many people or not believe in them has no incidence or their likeliness to be right, after all.

Most responses show that it would be insulting but that's because most people don't know what the word myth means. It doesn't refer to whether something is true or false. A myth is a traditional story consisting of events that are ostensibly historical, though often supernatural, explaining the origins of a cultural practice or natural phenomenon. The word "myth" is derived from the Greek word mythos, which simply means "story". Mythology can refer either to the study of myths or to a body or collection of myths. Myth can mean 'sacred story', 'traditional narrative' or 'tale of the gods'. A myth can also be a story to explain why something exists.
Human cultures' mythologies usually include a cosmogonical or creation myth, concerning the origins of the world, or how the world came to exist. The active beings in myths are generally gods and goddesses, heroes and heroines, or animals and plants. Most myths are set in a timeless past before recorded time or beginning of the critical history. A myth can be a story involving symbols that are capable of multiple meanings.
A myth is a sacred narrative because it holds religious or spiritual significance for those who tell it. Myths also contribute to and express a culture's systems of thought and values, such as the myth of gremlins invented by aircraft technicians during World War II to avoid apportioning blame. Myths are often, stories that are currently understood as being exaggerated or fictitious.

I say, "Christian Mythological Pantheon" really fast and that's too many words for them to get mad at. And it's usually when I'm referring to the Devil Vs. God dichotomy or something about their mythological creatures like angels and demons.

Since I don't pretend to be a scholar about the many religions in deference to ones' beliefs in different cultures I prefer not to discuss religion since in many cultures it's a very personal thing. To refer to someones' beliefs as mythology is arrogant and insulting. I'm looking to make friends not get killed when I travel to other countries. What you refer to may be acceptable in the US but I'd be very careful abroad. What is your point? Are you trying to provoke argument or discussion. If you're looking for discussion I'd approach it differently.

SamL Level 7 Oct 19, 2017

Ask them to explain the difference between their God and a sky fairy.

They either get angry or they shut down. They know that I am right, but they want to hold on to it because they fear death.

i don't cuz it probably offends them

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.