Agnostic.com

8 0

How many of you have tried online dating? Any Luck? The most I get is spammers or people using the sites to get people to send them money then they disappear.

Sithis 4 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did about 10 years ago, met a wonderful woman and we had a loving on-line relationship for about two years. She lived about 2000 miles away from the coast in central Canada. We met once, then she had a better offer which involved marriage and a move to Scotland, so I wished her well and we parted friends. We still are friends and communicate regularly.

Being an elder I first tried "Our Time". I liked it because one could limit one's search to a given area and age group. Met several ladies there and dated about a half dozen. Only one worked out (still seeing her on a daily basis). Actually also tried "e-Harmony". I like the set-up of the site and the "5 questions " to be exchanged in the beginning but found that most of the women on the site did not make use of that and just posted a picture and minor other facts, so dropped it. Also tried Zoosk but didn't particularly like it. With all the sites I never met a "spammer" . Probably because there aren't that many in the 70-80 age group. Kind of surprised because that's where one could find a sugar daddy. 🙂

Here's a different story.
This, Agnostic, is the first site I tried, although I'd been separated for ages, and single for about 9 years.
I had a couple uncomfortable interactions, and a few nice guys who didn't really match. Eventually I began to figure I was just here to chat, visit and pick up some better orange trump jokes - So I talked to people in that frame of mind.
I like the site, like the folks here and appreciate the discussions.
You guessed it. Although I did not change my (looking to meet men) status, at first, I began talking with a gentleman who was also not looking, sometime around the end of February.
We haven't met yet, (but I have now changed my status), and I'm looking forward to our r/l meeting which is not far off.

I'm fairly certain that this guy and I became close, partly because we were just interacting as friends, without expectations.
Yeah, I figure there are predators everywhere, but this site has less, in my limited experience.
Guys, I don't care how well off you are, don't put that in your profile, or you'll attract the creepy vulture women. Instead, speak of your interests, hobbies, passions.
Real, honestly caring women will talk to you, based on these things. You may or may not become romantic, but you'll gain friends til you do meet a match!
(Advice for women, on next week's show, Same time, place, and sponsor.)

I tried both POF and Zoosk for a couple of months. On POF, the majority of the profiles were stale (had not logged on in months). While there were some obviously fake profiles, there was no spamming. On the other hand, Zoosk was full of spammers who posted pictures with phone numbers on them for you to text or call. In most cases, the spammers were young women from another state. I chatted with one spammer for a couple of days and enventually got them to admit that they were not 'real.' When I probed for information on their motive, they went dark on me.
In general, if somebody on an online dating site only has one picture and very little information in their profile, then I make the assumption that they are fakes.

I met a few nice women on Zoosk. However, I eventually became disenchanted with the whole online dating approach.....In general, the women are getting approached by dozens of men per day. The last girl that I dated continued to use the site even after we started going out and I started to get the feeling that they were one email away from finding a bigger/better deal and dumping me (which eventually happened). On the other hand, when we started dating, I had frozen my account and stopped using the site.

Am I being unreasonable?? After a couple of dates, should I ask the woman to stop using the online dating site? Or does it really matter if they continue to shop around while we're dating? To me, it was analagous to going out with a woman who continued to visit singles bars on the nights we were not together.

Seems to me , if you haven;t made a commitment to her , then she doesn't need to make a commitment to you . You need to talk with her , and the two of you need to agree , which stage your relationship is at
I had a large house and let out a couple of rooms to a young couple . Eventually , she began seeing someone else . He was pissed off . They had had an open relationship arrangement , but in his opinion , he felt it was only for his benefit . Since he was military , he felt he should be allowed to see other women , but was shocked and angry that she chose to take the same advantage of the situation .

I tried a couple of sites. Profile was up for a while. Nothing but poor luck.

Nope, never attempted it.

Be careful out there. I have been successful, 3 out of 3000 times ?   Lol

On my last experience with a well known dating site, I encountered three fake profiles. They always lived in other states, and sent me long e-mails. After e-mailing back and forth for a couple of weeks, they were telling me how much they loved me and were talking about our future together! Well, this scared the crap out of me and I told each one of them NOT to communicate with me again. The last one started out with one name and forgot what name he was originally using, so he got busted on that, as well. Some people on these sites are very shady so use common sense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.