Agnostic.com

10 0

Would immortality be worthwhile or disastrous for society?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am interested in this subject so curious about the comments.
My take is it depends. I’m not concerned about over population as we have already reached peak child; when boomers start dying the population will stop growing because we are have fewer children than ever and the decline continues. Second I think our first offer of immortality will be on offer for our brain- soon I think, maybe not in time for me. We’ll likely be able to download our brains, maybe go into some kind of holding space or better, be able to keep on learning and take peeks into what’s going on out there, have a chat w great great grandchildren now and then... sounds interesting to me. Eventually we may be able to provide those brains we bodies as requested? Would we still be human...or cyborg? 😉

Immortality would require a whole new paradigm of society, and I think that how things are at the moment it would be a disaster.

it would be interesting...thats all that really matters to me

Disastrous if humanity fails to wisely grow beyond planet Earth since Earth has limited resources and the population continues to grow unchecked.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

fair point

in a post scarcity interstellar society, it could be fine, on earth disaster.

Immortalaliy would be bad. In a sense that meaning would be lost.

what meaning are you referring to?

Life and death is a nessecary part, of being human.

I think we would become wiser as a whole as the years pass. After living for hundreds or even thousands of years most arguments would probably become very trifling.

It would be worthwhile ONLY IF all individuals are given the option to die as they choose and prohibition and stigma of suicide is removed.

Considering the fact that over-population destroying the planet, the thought of immortality is especially horrifying!

Without a change to the amount of times a woman can become pregnant in a lifetime, and gestation rates, immortality would be disastrous for society. Outside of the concerns for over population, the inability to die would change our outlook on life. For some they would handle it effectively and maturely. But, most of society would handle it immaturely. With no threat of death (which even for an atheist is a key driver) people would act atrociously. They would go with their worst instincts, because they would view life as having no consequences. Imagine a world where everyone acted like a 14 - 16 year old, that is the world you would bring about. Death, and our own mortality, is a driver for us all, and a good one at that.

I couldn't agree more!

If we all agree on the definition provided by Google: Immortality - The ability to live forever; eternal life, then it means not able to die.

well i didnt include invulnerability, being immortal doesnt exclude things like being stabbed or poisoned or burned so that throws a monkey wrench in my premise. Jelly fish are immortal in a sense but if you burn or stab one or take it out off water, it will die

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.