Agnostic.com

3 1

What do you think about the hypothesis that humans evolved the propensity to be religious?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no problem with this notion. First, we are dealing with deep time here and the first ideas of applying agency to inexplicable occurrences may well have begun more than 300,000 years ago. The scientific approach to knowledge and understanding has only a scant 200 years. Thinking can become deeply ingrained over deep time, and it requires a lot to change such thought processes.

I would not go so far as to say evolved but I would say that humans have always leaned towards explaining the unexplainable needing to understand the mysterys that come into their lives.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

The problem with the human mind is that as amazing as it is, it does not like open ended problems. Eye witnesses are the worst because it is easy for people to be manipulated. If there are open ended questions, you brain will fill in the missing details and you will be convinced that it happened that way. The human brain does not like unanswered questions as to the origins of life and matter itself. Add to that, the drive to live and the fear of death. It makes our minds perfect for the fantasy of religion.

It's true... we don't like missing details and we fill them in. So religion would be one of the side effects of having a human brain that wants hard answers when there are none.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.