Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Excess hippo dung may be harming aquatic species across Africa | Science | AAAS

Also, this is yet another contributor to CC that is natural...Now, they need to suck it out and add it to their soil. A balance can always be struck without the need to eliminate the production of the cause.

Excerpt from the article
"Until now, the daily migration of Africa’s 70,000 hippos between wading pools during the day and grasslands where they feed at night was thought to be beneficial. With their poop, the animals transfer nutrients to African aquatic ecosystems. But in the dry season of Kenya’s Mara River, when 4000 hippos crowd together in the 100 or so few pools deep enough for them, hippo dung accumulates at the bottom, feeding microbes that rob the water of oxygen needed by other underwater creatures. When this water is flushed downriver by periodic floods, it can kill fish downstream."

NotConvinced 7 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many times, when there doesn't seem to be a logical answer I wonder what would have happened if there had been no "human factor" involved...
Humanity has fucked up many such natural systems (like flood plains), it bears consideration.

@NotConvinced
CC? ... Climate change?
I'm not qualified to speak about the hippos.
But I do see human influence messing with flood plains, creating worse situations thru what turns out to be horridly wrong assumptions.
Of course climate changes happen, habitats alter, this has happened since day one.
What is different now is the speed and intensity of that change.
And yes, human alterations on the planet are a huge factor in the overall increase in heat, (not even mentioning the pollution, extinctions of countless species)

@NotConvinced
And now may be the end of us. We should be fighting tooth and nail to do everything we can do to stabilize our habitat.
NOT use the previous climate disasters as an excuse to continue RAPING our environment, decimating other species.

I am beginning to wonder about some people here, and on other sites. For folks to argue for harmful actions to continue causes me to suspect their motives. For me to try to explain my worries... I can't imagine any ulterior motive.  

For those proponents of continued pollution, continued trashing of our water, land and air. I can only suspect a monetary motive... Or total blindness?

@NotConvinced
Getting people to acknowledge that humans have a role in creating these problems and MUST commit to solving them, seems darn important to me.
You are correct that I didn't read your profile right then, (tho perhaps at one time I had)
But you might not have read mine either.
With no purse, no youth, and little ability to speak in groups, THIS is my forum, my soapbox.
I deem the future of our planet and our kids extremely vital. Perhaps I will find other methods to contribute, eventually, yes.
But for now, I use my ability to think somewhat logically and to convey those thoughts via formats like this.
Caring deeply is an emotional reaction, but if I didn't care, I might just forget it all and post about my kids or cat.

"Excess" hippo dung. Isn't that redundant from a human viewpoint? Lol

There must be a direct relationship with trumpie with all the sh*t he puts out.

@NotConvinced Yup

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.