Agnostic.com

7 0

How do we control fake news?

Trump's victory in 2016 relied heavily on fake news outlets such as Fox News and Breitbart spreading lies designed to engender hate and fear in low intelligence people. From claims that Obama was not born in the USA to stories about Hillary Clinton helping to run a child sex slavery ring out of a DC pizza place, these stories were disproved immediately, but some people refused to stop believing. How do we stop lies like these from destroying our country? Should media outlets be looked at under a magnifying glass and shut down if they repeatedly spread lies? What else could we do?

Diarmaede 7 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure how to stop it. Part of the problem is that so many people get their "news" from memes and headlines. Memes are notoriously riddled with misinformation or outright lies, and both sides are guilty of writing sensationalistic headlines in order to attract attention. Add to that, there is often a detectable left or right lean/bias, depending on the news outfit. Some people detect this bias and automatically assume the entire article is biased or outright lies.

As a person who very much wants the facts on things that seem important to me, I find it frustrating trying to sift through article after article looking for verifiable and undeniable proof of what is being said. Your better news outlets will have some kind of sources listed but sometimes the sources are anonymous. No matter how much I may want to believe something with no real proof, I refuse to do so.

Though sometimes slightly biased, I find that fact checking sites tend to be the most thorough in their analysis of verifiable facts. Sadly, half of the country (no surprise which half) thinks they are all a conspiracy and the real source of fake news.

To me it's simple but not easy. Teach philosophy and critical thinking skills in schools and move away from simply memorizing information.

That’s a slippery slope. Who is going to be the person/people/committee/etc. that get to decide what is real and what is not? Who gets to decide who to shut down? Many of us can discern fact from fiction, but to the ones who cannot and choose to believe the fiction any regulation would be met with a whole new level of drama. Aaaaand, let’s not forget that it would be an assault on the Free Press and if we start in one direction it could always backfire and come for the true stuff, too.
I hear you, though— this fake news, these outright LIES AND PROPAGANDA, are a huge problem. Getting worse by the day with 45 tweeting about it all the time to his base.

FOX is "Fake NEWS" ? Seriously. Get your facts straight- Try ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC for fake news.
Look for my post very shorty- "Am I the only atheist that voted for the president and you can't pigeon hole people.

@Diarmaede FOX is run by bigots and racists that cater to the ignorant ...bible thumping assholes ...????

Mainstream media is ruled by the FCC and there is no "fake news"
47 C.F.R. § 73.1217. This rule prohibits broadcast licensees or permittees from broadcasting false information.
The FCC has stated publicly that "rigging or slanting the news is a most heinous act against the public interest.

@MikeFlora Direct quote from the FCC website. I almost forgot, Trump appointed the chairman of the FCC in jan. 2017. If there were any "fake news" out there this guy would be going after it and Trump would be talking about this guy cracking down on it. This guy isn't going after anybody, and Trump has never said one word about this guy. Get your facts straight

Who's going to put the magnifying glass on them? You're not going to stop this type of news when they're owned by only 6 corporate giants that also happen to own the very representatives you would count on to create legislation to control their accuracy. You can however control the news you get. Being you're on here you should also have access to a number of alternative new sources. My personal favorite investigative journalist is Abby Martin. She is presently doing most her work off of teleSur English. She has a collection of videos on her website called The Empire Files [theempirefiles.tv] Fair warning! I get from it from your post you might be a Hillary Clinton fan. She, I, am not. And if you view some of the work Abby has done on the Clinton's, you maybe pushed to redevelop your opinion on them! Other news sources I tend to favor are Common Dreams, The Real News Network, Truthout, Medium Daily Digest. And yes, Abby's name for her work is just that, a stand against the empire building our country is engaged in around the globe. Not for the faint of hearts if you so desire to really learn what your country and global establishment is doing around the globe in our name. If you're really interested in real news you can depend on you can find all these on facebook or feel free to get back to me and I'll send you the links to their websites. I'm not going to spend my time doing all that work for someone that might be totally stuck in the managed perception the establishment hold over people and refuses to broaden their minds and then attack me after putting all the work in for them.

We live in a world where up is down, left is right, real is fake. No one knows who to trust, everything is up for interpretation to the point that we distrust science, actual evidence, and the earth itself.(flat earthers) Who the hell knows how to approach a media outlet that lies blatantly. They could just hide behind some kind of opinion journalist or artistic expression label and have an army of lawyers to get them off the hook. We’re living in a real reality show or a twilight zone. Snl has gotten even funnier and the writing has gotten even more creative because they have had to compete with an unrealistic reality.

First, I think we stop calling it news of any kind. It is not "fake news", it is lies, propaganda, debunked rumors, myths but NOT news. The trumpkins, evangelicals and other right wing nut jobs have whipped out the phrase "fake news" to describe any news story that is negative toward them, but that is not "fake" news either. Often it is good journalism but they don't like it so it is fake. Trump loves the term so much he has taken credit for "coming up with it". The ridiculous label gets entirely too much use and is becoming too much a part of the vernacular. Almost without fail, when I read comments following a satirical article, someone will post "FAKE NEWS!" because they are not able to recognize satire (NOT the same as fake news) but may realize the story is too "out there" to be reality.
When we encounter information that is not accurate, we should call it out for exactly what it is, a mistake, a lie, an exaggeration or whatever but not fake news. We don't need to help numb the public to what these stories really are by applying a label the right "came up with" to discredit those who oppose them. Calling out the media in clear, concise terms may not change their agenda but it is more likely to influence an audience who may stop and think "Huh? That's a lie?" rather than shrugging off the "fake news".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.