Agnostic.com

5 1

Thoughts of origins

So many different points of view - what’s your thoughts on Panspermia

CalvinJoe 7 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thing about panspermia is that the life it came from would have had to undergo abiogenesis. Say there was a distant planet that was destroyed and a chunk of it landed on Earth, with bacteria from said planet, and seeded life here on Earth. Well the life on the other planet would have had to form through abiogenesis. You could say that that planet's life was seeded from another as well, but you'll eventually hit a wall where abiogenesis had to have taken place.

So you're really only left with a creator creating life or abiogenesis. If you believe aliens seeded Earth with intent, their evolutionary line would have had to be created by other aliens or naturally form through abiogenesis as well. You could follow the chain of aliens making aliens making aliens that made us, and you'll still end up with abiogenesis.

Sure, it is possible. Why not? Maybe we are all Martians.

It's probably not as good as my theory.

Now, what is this theory, you say? I will digress for your intellectual curiosity.

I believe that life was created when an alien species was looking for water, but fell in the ocean due to the new gravitational environment, and began to flatulate from water pressure, causing life-giving compounds to form primordial ooze on ancient clay, that in today's era, is used to make chia-pets.

Interesting - are there any periodicals or papers that I can read about this?

@CalvinJoe Try Infowars

As I understand it Panspermia is a defined as a process that allows for the transfer of life from one planetary body to another - either within the same stellar system such as say from Mars to Earth - or in fact the transfer of life from one planetary body to another where both planets orbit two different stars in completely separate stellar systems.

I have also read definitions where this transfer does not just mean something living but could include the transfer of the chemical precursors to life, such as amino acids.

To date there has been no evidence that this process has ever occurred. Though there are a number of scientists around the world that would like to claim otherwise - the general population of the scientific community remain unconvinced.

That being said there is some clear evidence that may be interpreted as hinting toward the possibility of this actually occurring.

The linked article here ( [newscientist.com] ) discusses the claim that glycine was found in deep space - though this remains unverified as far as I can determine. However this article ( [newscientist.com] ) does explain that glycine was found in a comet. Glycine is an amino acid and is therefore a building block of proteins - and by definition can be considered a chemical that is a precursor to life. This evidence suggests that amino acids may very well be commonly found throughout the universe and as such raises the possibility that life may have a genesis somewhere else in the universe other than uniquely here on Earth.

In addition to this there is a micro-organism here on Earth that is renowned for its hardiness. It can be exposed to a wide variety of environmental conditions which force it to enter a dormant state. From which it can be awoken even after many years. I am of course referring to the humble Tardigrade - or waterbear.

Back in 2007 Tardigrades were exposed directly to the vacuum of space and were then returned to Earth where they were rejuvenated successfully. Should a colony of these animals be buried deep inside a rocky formation and hurtled out into deep space who could be certain as to their eventual fate?

Points are all valid - and if we all agree we are all made of “starstuff”, and that the building blocks of life originated from stars, then there is evidence based on what you wrote. Good response!
Since we went to Mars, did we not drop bacterium there on our probes and rovers ? Is that panspermia?

I think the earth was too hot for anything to be alive during the early years

gater Level 7 May 28, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.