Agnostic.com

10 2

Mental health

I want to start a conversation about mental health. Who suffers from it? I do.

Marc1022 3 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have severe ADD, severe social anxiety and depression (MDD). I also am mostly likely on the autism spectrum.

There is not enough help for mental health issues in my opinion and I feel the whole 'brain chemical imbalance' narrative is dishonest and only benefits big pharma.

If someone loses their health, their home, their job, their partner and their family - they might become depressed. But ignore all that... Serotonin levels are focused on instead.

I have no doubt antidepressants work for some, but for most they are a crude, numbing sledge hammer that doesn't address the root cause.

There are serious side effects too, with increased risk of suicide being the worst.

I read a description about depression recently which posited: 'Depression and anxiety are not illnesses. They are symptoms of our profound needs not being met'.

This made me think.

I currently suffer from "mental health". Meaning my "mental health" is currently quite good.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) Maybe you want to put in more specifics. Do you suffer from depression? Something else? Maybe you don't wish to say but at least say that because mental health isn't an illness, just say'n.

I used to suffer from depression and it was severe enough that I consider it a lifelong condition but it is now well managed - even excellently managed.

Not currently afflicted by it, but I've suffered low-level depression for my entire adult life and found my way into alcoholism. Taken a lot of different approaches to climb out of it.

My wife, though, suffers severe OCD with anxiety and a lifelong bipolar condition. We've learnt a lot about what can work to keep her functioning well, so if you want to hear any input from a partner's perspective, I'm happy to contribute.

I have anxiety and depression, when do you discuss that with a new
Person? How do you reply to someone who says "oh I get sad too." Arrrgh

I'm a schizophrenic. I was paranoid and delusional but only for a short time. I hear voices but for some reason I'm not bothered by them at all. In fact I'm somewhat amused by my voices. This is apparently rare because most people who hear voices are deeply troubled by them.

I don't suffer from it.
It suffers me.
?

I have never suffered from mental health, but if I find a person who has, I will let you know, eh?

My husband is a manic depressive with schizoid undertones, an epileptic, and has Parkinson's. It has been very difficult living with him but I stayed because basically he is a very good and generous person when he is "normal". I think when someone has a mental health disorder one should try and concentrate on the good that is in him.

Unless you are not dead you have to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:92835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.