Agnostic.com

23 4

Is belief a choice?

Pretty straight forward, I think. Do you think we consciously decide that we don't believe in a god, or that we can even help it?

Edit: An example of what I'm trying to ask is this. Could you choose to believe in a god even if you absolutely do not now? Would that choice be permanent and authentic? Is "choosing" a viable action on it's own to construct a new belief?

• 5 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 0 votes
ahchelsey 3 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let me clarify my "yes" vote by saying that it is a choice for an adult who has the openness of mind to question it but not a child. This is because as children we are evolutionary conditioned to believe what our partners tell us. So if they are endoctrinated at a young age that belief system is going to be hard to break.

When you reach the age of reason, yes.

I voted Maybe because I essentially agree with @LibrePenseur

Yes he nailed it on that one

Of course we can decide. Logic and legend can both be comforting, but in the end, it's a matter of looking at facts.

I think our beliefs are unconscious until we become conscious of them. Then they CAN be a choice. For example, most people don't think about the fact that eating animals causes them great suffering and harm. So they subconsciously believe it's ok to eat animals. They also believe it's necessary to eat animals, because they grew up being told they would only grow up big and strong if they ate animal flesh. But when we break down the facts, as researched by recent science, we find that humans can thrive on a vegan diet as long as we have all the nutrients we need-- and all these nutrients can be sourced from plants, or bacteria in the case of B12. All animals feel pain and joy and have their own desires to live. Therefore, if you think about it, it is unethical to eat them. But most people, when confronted with these facts, will feel unwilling to change because they've "always done it this way" and because changing one's diet rather pulls the rug out from under one. And they'll pull out justifications like "lions eat meat, so it's ethically fine, because we're like lions" when in reality our digestive tracts far more closely resemble those of our fruitarian primate cousins rather than those of obligate carnivores. However! if you can approach a new belief-choice with curiosity and a willingness to experiment, you can make all sorts of interesting discoveries-- even of new foods that you enjoy as much as or more than the old ones.

If I could give you 5 Stars I would! (Disclaimer, I was a practicing die-hard, law abiding vegan for 12 years)

I believe it is.......(see what I did?)

In my opinion, belief is choice whereas truth is reason. We may chose a belief on evidence or faith, but truth exists regardless of belief. It is common to note that lack of evidence indicates truth, whereas in fact it only indicates lack of evidence; an important distinction. Many indicate a belief simply because it has been inculcated since early childhood; they have been 'hardwired' that way, and that is in my opinion the single greatest crime committed by the faithful- the deliberate distortion of young minds. But even such minds as these can find reason if they chose to rise above fear.

After a quick search....it appears we don't know. However, what a great research question.

Belief is only a choice once you've turned 18. Until then, as I learned, your parents can force you to participate in things you call "bs" on.

It is imperative that no child should be indoctrinated with any religious dogma until they are at a stage when they can decide for themselves?

You don't choose to be indoctrinated as a child, just like you don't choose to be abused in any other ways as a child. But you can choose to break the cycle, use common sense and embrace reason.

No vote. Don't know what to tell you that will make sense other than I never believed that I was a believer so I see me as a born without faith.

I think beliefs – particularly religious or political ones – are settled on after unconscious events build to a climax through cognitive dissidence and then conformity after introspection. A personal consensus is reached and change is made or birthed. Not always at once, and over time it deepens. I think how this develops is dependent on a variety of things: genes, dna and one's environmental, exposure and access to the larger world. I don't think a person arriving to a decision as I described could return to their previous state. So, no, I don't think you can decide “right now” to start believing in a god and expect it to be authentic. Though people seem to experience epiphanies and dive into it. So, who knows? But, I think in some way you have to arrive, not choose. Enlightenment isn’t easy.

But hey, whaddaIknow? I'm just another pion on this rock.

Of course belief (religious belief) is a choice. Nobody is born religious. It is taught. As you get older everyone has the capability of making the choice as to believe in that particular religion, some other one, or none at all. I was raised Protestant, went to Sunday school every week and to service afterward. I believed what was being taught to me by Sunday school "teachers", my parents, etc. At some point in my teen years I figured it out all on my own. I've been an atheist ever since. I made the choice...the intelligent, informed choice.

I think it is impossible to choose any of the answers in your poll, because the proper answer would have to be "it depends".
It depends on how a person thinks which in turn depends largely on how they have learned to think (and maybe is influenced to some extent by personality or genetics).

When we observe atheists and believers then it becomes obvious that many atheists think in a way where it is simply not possible for them to choose, because they have learned to accept the result of rational thinking as something inescapable: once it becomes clear that you cannot move objects just by thinking, and why this would be impossible, no amount of "faith" can change anything about that insight. Same with religion.

But religious people often think differently: they start with the faith and value "defending" their faith much higher than any logic or rationality. If it gets really hard, then probably just because their god wants to test them.

Why do people think in such different ways? I believe it is because we learn thinking like we learn everything else. When children get raised in a way where a lot of their actions and beliefs have to be accepted by simply accepting authority, trusting others and having faith, this is what will be more easy and more natural for them later and they will vote for demagogues like Trump.

On the other hand the more children get challenged to think rationally, to figure out why things are or should be in a certain way, to question things and to not blindly trust those who have power over them, the more easy it will be for them to also question things like religion, but also political demagoguery or esoteric bullshit.

Only facts can make me choose to believe something.

Unless you've been brainwashed, of course belief is a choice. As a little kid your parents might tell you how to believe but you still "choose" to go along with them. If you're a small child and your mom puts soup in your mouth and tells you it's good and you have to eat it, you can still "choose" to spit it out. If you are traumatized as a youngster who gets bit by a dog to believe that dogs and/or animals in general are bad, you could just as easily blow it off and decide that not all dogs are bad--you choose what to believe. No belief is permanent as long as your brain is working. People can change their beliefs, most decide not to, like religious fanatics for example.

lerlo Level 8 May 29, 2018

When you are young, it really isn't a choice. It's religious indocrumentation. Same goes with politics. For good Darwinian reason, you believe your parents. As Dawkins once said (not verbatim) "don't go near the water because there are crocodiles. You believe your parents. However, when you get older, you can make up your own mind. Read books. Study history. See what doesn't add up.

Belief is something that you have learned. It is only through deep reflection that one should believe anything. Should one come to a decision on 'belief' following same then yes it is a choice.

Yeah, totally. just like a certain minority -- a certain small subsection of the populace that claim they were born that way and because of their dangerous and deadly life choices often don't live as long as the average upstanding citizen. i'll give you a hint, the aforementioned group i'm alluding to starts with "G".

...Gang members.

Belief is a choice, but one that is heavily influenced by experience. For some, the choice is simple: believe because they know nothing different. For others, the conscious choice to believe goes against their experiences, but it is scary not to believe. For a select few, the choice to believe is based not on fear, but on a drastic misinterpretation of events. They see their god in everything, and fully believe. But they are very rare. Many claim that, but doubts creep in for most.

I don’t think we have a conscious choice about what we believe or disbelieve. If there is convincing evidence, we lean toward belief—otherwise disbelief. For many questions the ultimate answer is simply not known and might be unknowable. Many questions hinge on semantics, or how you define things. The question of God is intimately bound up with the ultimate nature of reality, and that is far, far out of my understanding, which is why I don’t argue over it.

I think true belief isn't a choice, but a result of observation and experience. A child believes what they're told for lack of the both. As we get older and attain the two, our beliefs either evolve, or we choose to deny what we observe and experience and continue to "believe" what we were told.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:93697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.