Agnostic.com

3 0

Any separated dads out there?.
I'm not usually one for reaching out, but, y'know...
I've split from the wife and the court decided my daughter should stay with her mother.
It sucks, but, it wasn't a surprise, kinda knew it would pan out like that.

Generalusage 4 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My ex and I share the kids week on week off. It was a long and expensive legal battle, but fortunately things were resolved somewhat satisfactorily. I'm a bit annoyed at how the B.C. courts set up support payments though, as they don't take into account cost of living. So if you live in an expensive area, with most of your income going toward food/housing/utilities, you could still be obligated to give a substantial amount to your ex that actually exceeds your remaining net income. So at one point I was putting all of one of my semi-monthly paychecks towards housing/utilities, and the other was going to food/bills, yet I was expected to magically produce another $1000+ a month because of the difference in our incomes. Fortunately I managed to move to a more affordable place, that made support payments possible.

I just left about a month ago and live 5 minutes from my 2 sons. It's like I live out of town though because I don't infringe on whatever they have planned and so far the co-parenting thing is working out fine. I don't even set foot in their house and this is the standard that's been set on my end. Just be there for the kid and do it with all you got each and everytime that you have the chance. It will be remembered and appreciated someday.

I got lucky when my ex and I split. She moved 75 miles away to be with her boyfriend, and I stayed at the house with our 3 kids. It's a lot of work raising them myself, but I'd be completely miserable if it was the reverse and I only got to see them every other weekend. I definitely feel for you! But you're right, the system is set up to favor the kids being with the mother. I constantly have to clarify on custody and child support documents that I am the custodial parent, not her. It's like they can't even fathom the idea.

Good to hear you've got your kids.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.