Agnostic.com

0 0

Another long rant that popped in my head 25 minutes ago. Sorry

I’m really stubborn. When someone offers me something, as far as money or advice, etc, I appreciate it and try my hardest to show them that I do appreciate their efforts. Although, at the same time I get frustrated with myself, that I should be doing this, or doing that, and not relying on others for this or that, because the greatest satisfaction that we can experience is figuring out something on our own, accomplishing something on our own or with minimal help from others. Knowing that I can do something all on my own is important to me, and most, I feel.

At the same time it’s important to recognize that we rely on others almost continuously in a functioning society and we don’t even realize it. We also need to get rid of the stigma of having to rely on social safety nets such as snap, for instance, or others government assistance. Sometimes people need it- Full stop. Violent crime has a tendency to pop up in places where people are suffering and miserable. It could be the case that people that act violently have a genetic predisposition to act violently. It also could be strongly environment. Either way, we know that suffering people tend to act out violence more than happy people. Lets not add insult to injury by not funding programs that help a little. It may not make them totally happy, but it decreases violence a little, I’d argue.

The philosophy of individualism and self-reliance that goes along with more the right-wing end of the spectrum actually makes a lot of sense because if we lose our ability to take care of ourselves and we lose our ambition to strive, that creates a stagnant society. BUT, the problem with the right and the left today is they are absolutists, I think that’s the correct word, they only think in extremes. Either we have no government programs and no public care for each other and rely on charities, which are good, but not always able to fulfill dire needs, and its survival of the fittest, or we have a government program for everything.

We need to somehow create a society that has citizens that are emotionally and physically fit enough to continue progressing. We need programs to fall back on when we need help. I think the social culture we live in has a lot to do with people falling on hard times. Advertising, marketing and expectations in regards to how we should live is bombarding our consciousness and subtly manipulating us into thinking we need this brand of t-shirt or that thing that Justin Bieber used or the kardashians featured in their ridiculous show or that new expensive diet fad. We need an actual rehabilitation system that doesn’t punitively punish people for nonviolent crimes to the point that we have the largest prison population in the world. Im going off on a tangent.

Live simply, but not so simple that you are dissatisfied. Find ways to make life interesting with what you got. Jim Carrey recently said something along the lines of: Don’t let a holiday manipulate you enough that put yourself into debt to prove that you love someone. He also said when asked what religion he is: I’m whatever you want me to be. I feel the same way in both respects and even with the latter. Im fairly happy enough with my ideology in regards to religion, or lack there of, that I can tell a white lie to someone about my religious affiliation if it means that much to them for their emotional sake that I believe in Christianity instead of Judaism or Scientology, etc. Because I’ll find the good in all religions, the good in everyone, no matter how bad they are, staying away from them if they’re putting my happiness or health at risk, of course, but I try to stay optimistic while living in a world that is so easy to feel pessimistic about.

Jarucker 5 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9472