Agnostic.com

3 2

How can there be Ateiest Satanists?

As I understand it, Satanism would have to be a sect of anti-christianism and thus a theology. Am I wrong? Please explain.

McVinegar 8 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on what sort of Satanism you're talking about. The most active varieties are almost parody religions that don't actually believe in a personal devil. Atheists have been known to join up just because believers claims atheistm = satanism so, you know, it's that counter-factual, I'll-show-you sort of thing going on.

If I recall correctly I'm talking about LaVey Satanism and The Satanic Temple which I think is an offshoot of that, historically. Anton Lavey was a provocateur and the religion has that sort of ethos.

My favorite thing about them is that they are very effective in church / state separation issues. Seems like every time some fundamentalist wants a statue to the Ten Commandments on public property like the local county courthouse, there's the Satanic Temple applying for a Baphomet statue to go right along side it. The only way, legally, they can prevent that from happening is to prohibit all groups (the general legal principle is either all beliefs are equally represented in the public square, or are equally excluded). Another example is so-called "release-time classes" that some evangelical groups have, where middle school or high school students are taught Bible lessons so long as it's off-premises and non-compulsory. So along comes the local Satanists with a request to have a Satan Club along the same lines. And the release-time class goes away.

Brilliant and effective strategy. They're not my cup of tea but I gotta like them just the same.

Not all sects are the same!
[thesatanictemple.com]

You must believe in God.

@McVinegar I meant the Athiest Satanists; they have to believe in God. Otherwise, they are just Athiests, because only people who believe in God also believe in Satan. Oh, I thought this was Silly, Random and Fun. I don't have a real answer. It doesn't make sense.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94768
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.