Agnostic.com

7 9

We gained a new hospitalist and he is very obviously autistic. I am super impressed because it's hard enough becoming a doctor, much less an autistic one so young.

Well, I have like, a zillion years experience with autistic people so I forget that most people don't quite get it. He's been having a lot of problems with patients calling him 'rude' and 'insensitive'. He isn't, he's just...autistic. black and white. Logical. He's spock if spock was a doctor.

I feel so bad for him because so many people are not understanding. Also I've known PLENTY of NOT autistic doctors who were way bigger assholes. I wish I knew how to help him out, because I think it's really awesome how far he's come.

LadyAlyxandrea 8 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My son is on the autism spectrum. He's just 4 now and was diagnosed as level 2, but after 2 years of intense therapy his last evaluation indicated he was "high functioning". Hearing about this doctor is awesome to me because my biggest fear is that my son will not be able to support himself and not happy (all I want is for him to be happy). At least the doctor is successful.
My only advice is to point out the good things you see in him to his patients. Like "yes, he may seem rude but I don't think he means to be - he's so smart he doesn't always realize . . .". Or something to that effect. And it's not untrue. You can work to create a persona around him. I know many doctors who definitely have one. And then maybe his patients will have a narrative to filter their perceptions through.
Just an idea. Good luck! I think you're awesome for caring enough to try something.

Not a doctor but wanting to get back and go to grad school for mathematics but yeah I've had the same problem as he is

I'm not on the autism spectrum but I am similar. My issue is people find me annoying and occassionally inappropriate, so I get it

Be supportive as you know how to be. He'll get his groove on with his patients, or, more likely, they will adjust to him. Eventually the system will sort of self filter so that he will get tolerant patients (assuming there is any control in that area).

I'm a mid-level in a hospital group. We don't have anyone on the spectrum, but that's a pretty amazing accomplishment.

I agree. It's our job to understand autistic people. This is how nature made us.

I would rather have an autistic doctor than many I have met: refreshingly blunt is so much better than arrogant or patronizing arsehat...

Temple Grandin, [en.wikipedia.org], is a high functioning autistic success story, which is really inspiring. IDK if there is anything in it that can help you. You've probably seen the movie about her.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95087
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.