Agnostic.com

10 1

How far does the apple fall from the tree?

Tell me about your parents..
Do/did you have a good relationship with them?
Are you more like one than the other?

What are the best and worst habits you picked up from one or both of your parents?

AMGT 8 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a great relationship with my mother and the relationship with my father wasn't there consistently all my life. Yet and still within the distance and short time we had together over 55 years? I was man enough to transcend the years of neglect and forgave him the best I could in order to let myself move forward and I'm now being the father that I never had to my two sons. We do things that my grandfather and grandmother did with us as kids in addition to the things that daddy tried to do on periodic occasions in our life.

I have a good relationship with my mom, but never my dad. He was the absentee father. I didn’t shed one tear when he died.

I get along with and love both my parents, but we could not possibly be more different.
My father is just... old-fashioned and a bit eccentric.
My mother.... She's Catholic, she eats only "organic" produce and is anti-GMO. She send me anti-vaccine literature frequently. She's a conspiracy theorist and believes chemtrails are a real thing. She's a Trump-supporting conservative. She's also racist. We get along by discussing only the most banal subjects and avoiding religion, politics, etc.

My brother and I often comment on how different we are from the home we were raised in. But neither of us are really like either of them.
Best habit would be from my dad- highly optimistic. The worst would be from my mom- sometimes worrying about things I cannot influence.

Honestly, I think I owe my worldview to constantly trying to educate myself, and Star Trek 🙂

Sadly.im not as organized as they were, I'm guessing I'm more like my biological father, who was a flake, I get bored easily and mistrust most people.wish I was like.my adopted dad.

My mother was a manipulative woman who controlled people through fear, as a faux expression of mental instability, and she could be emotionally and physically abusive. It took me years to learn how not play into her games, to cut off communication for a short time when she tried to instigate an argument. Although it put distance between us, it improved how we communicated and made our relationship somewhat better (albeit still strained). As for what I received from her, personality-wise, a good thing is probably a skeptical nature (ironically it wasn't a good trait for her) and a desire to hold myself to high intellectual standards. And a bad trait from her is probably being a bit of a stickler about details and being too easily annoyed. As for my father, he's more relaxed, quieter, not prone to quick mood swings. He worked hard all his working days to provide for his family and to have a bit of savings despite the low pay of assembly-line factory work. He has a strong work ethic and is quite responsible, but we disagree considerably on politics, the one area where logic gives way to emotion. In terms of positive traits, I think I'm a responsible person who thinks carefully about major issues and decisions. A more negative trait is easily becoming frustrated when something isn't going well.

Apples fall pretty far when it's windy.

My parents were polar-opposites trying to be married; empathic mother; stoic father.

I found, as much as I despise the man...I am my father.

Thank you for asking.
Mom was a christian who died when I was 16. Dad was an agnostic who passed when I was in my late 30s. As most young adults I didn't have the best relationship with him in my teens and early twenties, after I grew up a bit, we got along famously.
He formed a lot of my world view and I'll be forever grateful. I've been told by my siblings that I have mom's empathy and dad's logic, which I take as a great compliment.

A bad relationship my dad was a degenerate gambler and mom was a hypochondriac. I left home at 15.

Love this question. Thanks for asking it!
I had a great relationship with them.
I'm probably not more like one than the other.
Best habit: remaining calm.
Worst: collecting.

skado Level 9 Dec 21, 2017

Thanks for the kind words, @AMGT.
I'm always fascinated to learn what kind of parental environment people had to contend with. It's something we don't get to choose, and it can have unexpected consequences. I feel I lucked out in the parent lottery, but I know plenty of people who didn't and in many ways they are often stronger for it. In the end, I guess it's up to the individual.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9556
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.