Agnostic.com

2 1

Can a human NOT be a speciesist?

I might elaborate later, but don't want to guide any comments.

Rugglesby 8 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a cattle farmer so, I may well be although I do not treat them cruelly I do exploit them for profit and food.
Unless you are a vegan it would be very hard not to be one by proxy.

Agree totally, I am not vegetarian, but I am a hypocrite. I can't kill animals, but I eat them when they come up all nicely packaged. I have raised beef cattle in times past. I have pets, cats dogs etc which I do treat as almost like human, in fact I feel more empathy for them than I do for most people. I couldn't mistreat them, let alone eat them. Yet I have just bought heaps of meat from other animals.

A speciesist; defined as?

pretty much seeing other species as less than us. Life forms evolve, our ancestors were primitive mammals like other primates. Religions put man on a pedestal, higher than animals, somehow different. Yet in reality we have just attained capacity for more complex thought. Should that endow us with some sort of almost divine right?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.