Agnostic.com

13 0

Has anyone ever been successful in de-converting a religionist?

atheist 8 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yup. I used to have holy rollers come to my door peddling their fantasies. But as I knew more about their fantasies beliefs than they did, I tended to convert them to logic. They don't come to my door anymore. They'd get so mad at me. It was humorous. 😉

I had/have a friend who never believed and when we were roommates in my first apartment we would get into all types of discussions about beliefs in god. I never initiated those conversations and was never real religious, I just confronted my actual beliefs on the universe which were all occurrences are meaningless random happenings. I always had those beliefs, even when I was tiny and they introduced the idea of god to me which led to an extreme amount of confusion, but if it wouldn't have been for those conversations I would still be more blinded than I currently am. So I bet someone somewhere has.

@atheist it would be foolish to think someone didn't have any effect whatsoever on their environment. Dude I mentioned in that comment might not know I no longer believe in anything but he did add to my thoughts on how impossible god is/was.

Why would I bother?

Yes. By my kind actions and compassion and debunking the myth that all atheist are entitled liberal snowflakes.

I have converted several as well as a family of 5.

I converted a door knocker, they've become a good friend since.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 22, 2017

I don't know. I have done SO much on line debating in open public forus that there's the obvious spill-over to all the lurkers not participating, so keep that in mind next time bible thumper Bob is tangling with you... there's often a large unseen audience. All the more reason to be civil and not name-call.

I can't be bothered

exactly I have better things to do

All the time. I've converted about 30 people now. I always invite the witnesses and mormons in when they come and sliwly as they come back each time i covert them

The best thing to do is to be non-critical and rational. I believe that if a person is brought up to believe or feel a certain way, it's not really fair to blame them for that alone. However, their beliefs (and anyone else's) are legitimate targets of criticism and deploring.

With some, it is just a futile effort. But I guess it happens.

From my experience a religionist will NEVER admit to a non-believer that they have influenced them, or contributed to rethinking their religion. I believe that this change occurs usually gradually, a kind of de-partitioning of that part of their mind that protects delusional thought. While endless debate with people who are totally absorbed by their "faith" is usually a waste of time -- they see it as an attack on their identity, not debate over belief -- I think we can never be sure how much the questions we raise with the religious can have an osmotic effect on their thinking over time.

Why try? That reminds me of the crazy people trying to reprogram kids out of homosexuality. Let them be who they are. You could always send them to college. That generally wakes a person up.

I honestly don’t mind helping anyone. And I’ll be happy to give my reasons for my position, but ultimately it’s a personal decision. If someon is inclined to ask, I’ll tell. But it’s tgeir life.

Perhaps it’s not, but trying to program someone into a religion or into atheism is equally offensive. I think training someone in critical thinking techniques is preferable, but that’s me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9660
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.