Agnostic.com

5 3

Should we embrace the true spirit of Christmas, you know how it was celebrated up until about 200 years ago?
About a thousand years ago the christians began subverting the pagan yule celebration for their own twisted purposes. Up until this time it had been a celebration with lots of drinking, feasting and a general wild time design to help the community get through the darkest most depressing time of the year.
It remained this same type of celebration with the poor putting on disguises, getting drunk and demanding fine food and drink at the doors of the rich with consequences for their failure to do so. This Mummer tradition was banned in most of Europe over 2 centuries ago but, still survives today in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Ion the rest of North America it ended with the Quakers who banned the celebration of Christmas. A ban that lasted to just about the start of the Twentieth Century when modern commercial Christmas was born.

HeathenFarmer 8 Dec 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi, I am a gardener from very rural Michigan. I am wondering if "Heathen", means hedonist? I think we should dance by a fire with good friends and music to celebrate the solstice.

It wouldn't be too difficult to rekindle the Pagan traditions among the people I know I think they have a head start lol hers to lots of drinking, feasting and a generally wild time this year to you all x

Should we? Are you saying you don't?

I celebrate Christmas for my daughter. If not for that, I’d just ignore it. But I wouldnt substitute one make believe entity for another. It’s kind of funny to annoy Christians with liking Santa Claus to Odin, but I wouldn’t worship Odin, Yahweh, Tiamat or Horus. There way to much in life to be amazed by instead worrying about ancient pagan rituals.

The Winter Solstice is still an important holiday, culturally, even without the god element. It gives warmth and light and merriment to the darkest time of the year. Check it out.

I’m aware of that, but I’m not a 6th century pagan overly impressed the precesssion of the planet.

I want a dog like that, it could barbecue the cows at the same time as it rounded them up.

Sorry, HeathenFarmer, Cerberus is a vegan dog. He would never barbecue another being.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.