Agnostic.com

12 1

Does anybody ever wish they could believe in graceful God?

As strange as it may sound, sometime when I see horrible things happen and you or either someone is in severe emotional agony, there’s times I wish I could believe in the graceful God portrayed by people. Cause when you think of God, you’d like to think someone who is loving, but then my rational mind kicks back into reality and remember just how evil God truly is and this is not the God that exist in the minds of many people and how many people make him what they want him to be. I won’t deny that I would not mind a merciful God that is portrayed as graceful existing, but the sad truth is life is just hard and we live in an indifferent Universe and terrible things just happen. I must stay true to reality.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Believing in a graceful and merciful god when you're watching some suffer? Can you see the rather twisted logic there?

They lost me at Abraham and Isaac. Then they want you to believe God has this personality change in the New Testament. The meanest people, most hateful I know are Christians.

Once I was out of the Realm of god... I was all out. Before my communist phase I was already atheist so... as the old soul I am... the whole thing disappeared in front of my eyes... I was out at 13-14. And Never Looked Back!

It a really good question. Wanting to believe in a big cosmic daddy in the sky that will just everything right appeals to the human inner child, regardless of age. It's a fool's errand. What gets me is why humans have to invent a God that is vengeful, vindictive, moralistic, and judgemental while being indifferent to human suffering. It reflects the human mind that created it I suppose. I agree with you totally about the bitter realities of life just have to be faced. No point hiding behind ancient fairy tales. Oddly enough it is kind of comforting to stay true to reality, as you well put it. It's an adult comfort that the religious often just don't understand.

Have no desire to believe in something that doesn't (to me) exist.

Graceful????

Graceful to the degree how people put him out to be. But we all know better that he’s far from that lol.

No. I am in love with the truth so much to even want to beleive in any of the gods anymore

Indifferent Universe? To me, Nature and The Universe are just two different terms for the same thing. What beats my heart, digests my food and regulates all the chemicals that make up my body? Certainly not my conscious mind. Whatever it is that does all that does not strike me as indifferent. Nature is not forgiving because nature never blamed me in the first place. I find that comforting. Nature doesn't give me everything I want, but it does give me so much to be grateful for. Nature / The Universe is my graceful loving god.

To believers and non-believers, ignorance and tragedy are both observed more often than necessary. The existence of these things makes me think I could never be one of the religious kind. I envy the camaraderie the religious seem to have but to much of life is spent with such a thing being completely frivolous or unnecessary.

you only get what you give away

No I can't tell if a god exist and judging by is worshippers I would never believe in him if it means I would be associated with these hatful people I don't question the idea of a god I question its follower that would kill to prove he exists. I had 2 random people at work pretend to try and run me over in a attempt at scaring me into some sort of appifiny, but the truth is even if it did work I wouldn't experience what they wanted since I wasn't raised in the bible belt.

He's not graceful. He's depraved.

Yes! My reasons why my critical mind kicks back in and I must deal and stay true to reality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9725
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.