Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK How Faith Breaks Your Thinker

This blogger, Neil Carter, writes compelling articles about the affects of religion on nearly every aspect of humanity, and that mostly from personal experience.

Many of you may already be familiar with him.

If you're struggling with faith's nonsense, may I suggest checking this and other articles by this guy, and the links he suggests.

If you do, please let me now what you think.

Coppersmith1965 6 June 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is an excellent overview of the logical fallacies with which fundamentalism is rife. Thanks for pointing it out.

"Imagine how many people plopped down into a pew this past Sunday, going through the motions again so as not to offend the people they love when in reality they became convinced a long time ago that this stuff made no sense. Those people have virtually no way to connect with anyone else who could relate to their frustration because their surrounding subculture shames anyone who openly discusses doubt and disbelief.

I can relate to this so intimately. It was and is my reality when it comes to those I've known for decades up until about five years ago.

I agree with Carter in some ways, however, I think there is a type of religion that requires no faith or belief. IMO true religion is not based on belief, but on deep awareness and appreciation for the staggering implications of the mystery of existence.

I know what he means by faith, but in general the word is worn out. Everyone exercises faith all the time. In order to click on your link I needed faith—faith that the link would work, faith that I would read something of interest, faith that Carter is a real person, etc. Perhaps a better word in general would be willingness, as in a willingness to proceed as though something is true until proven otherwise.

The kind of faith we detest is the kind demanded by church leaders under threat of eternal damnation. Whoever came up with such a stupid idea should have been whipped. Yet there are a lot of examples where children were subjected to such indoctrination and subsequently went on to become critical thinkers.

So no, faith doesn’t always break your thinker.

Good points! And I think you hit the same point with the reference to the kind of faith demanded by church leaders under threat of eternal damnation.

I like Carter's final point, "If you can convince people things don’t have to make sense, you can make them believe virtually anything you want." It's the idea that god's ways are mysterious and may not make sense, so we should just take it on faith that it's the best way without asking any questions or thinking too hard about it.

You are conflating the colloquial meaning of faith -- trust based on experience -- with the religious meaning -- belief without requiring substantiation.

For this reason when I mean faith colloquially, I just say trust. When I mean religious faith, I qualify it as such.

The two dictionary senses of the word are nearly opposite in meaning and echo diametrically opposed epistemologies.

@mordant OK

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:97435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.