Agnostic.com

1 0

everyone believes they have their right to express their opinion and that others have to listen.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right of an opinion, but (crucially) that opinion can be ignored and even made fun of particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense.

RickOShea 3 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very true. As the putative notion goes, people have rights, ideas do not. However, our intent should never be to harass the other. Having said that, I am quite belligerent philosophically and this may be taken as extremely abrasive as people often identify themselves with their firmly held opinions resulting in a worldview. If you attack someone's worldview it may be felt on a personal level. I believe we should not take offense in this respect and rather feel thankfulness for the engagement and operate reasonably amenable ready to augment, transform or replace our beliefs as we shouldn't strictly be infatuated with being right but to seek the truth itself. Which might mean changing your tune from time to time. It takes maturity to practice this, maturity that I find woefully absent in most people I engage with as they are lacking in the progress of metacognition which reveals ones own biases thereby allowing one to analyze their veracity.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.