Agnostic.com

7 2

I've had several family members block me either because I'm vocal about being an atheist and calling religion out on its bullshit or because I'm openly gay and they can't handle the fabulousness. That how they want to deal with it? Fine. I expect any conversations about theism to be completely centered on logical fallacies and mysterious "studies" that can't be sourced or verified.

ApostasyS 4 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Probably equally. People tend to hate gays first, the find out they're Atheists, compounds their hatred.

sometimes people want to live in their beliefs, and with those people maybe its better to talk about what brings you together instead of pointing out all the things that pull you apart. Just cause you don't agree with them on something doesn't mean you need to point it out everytime you see it.

It's not all I talk about, there are cat videos too.

you sound ok to me 🙂 im an atheist too, I freely admit it if anyone asks. I really don't see a problem, do your thing!!

That had been my whole thing since my deconversion. I kept it to myself while I further researched my position by looking into science and history and philosophy. Meanwhile it was a matter of "if asked, answer honestly." I was still direct about any subject I talked about like slavery in the bible but I was never asked about my position on theism. Not until after I finished taking down the censors on my Facebook page that was much more direct and to the point about everything. Then it was apparent that I had long since switched sides. Been over a year since I came out and still no one seems to want to have an actual conversation about it, they just want to be upset that I'm not religious and I point out its faults as they make headlines once again.

I like all the people passing judgement and making blind assumptions about what I'm clearly posting or saying to people without having any evidence of those claims. Just assuming that I'm the most toxic person alive if someone else is blocking me for saying anything. I know none of you and I know that none of you know me. So any of these "you're obviously just a toxic person" comments are completely baseless. I mean, unless literally any of you would like to provide some proof of your claims that I'm just a giant bitch. By all means, bring your proof. I'm sure you keep it in the same place the theists keep their proof of their various deities 🙂

I despise zealots in anything, and avoid them every chance I get. From the way you write, it appears that you make it your goal in life to shove both your "fabulous" gayness and atheistism down their throats every chance you get. If you are unable to tone it down a bit expect more people/family members to block you. Oh, if it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have written this.

That only works if I actually use the line "it doesn't bother me". All I said was that that was fine, as in that is their choice to be made. It's cute how you feel that you can draw conclusions about someone you don't even know based on a handful of posts on a page that's less than a week old. So glad you can form opinions about people so that you know them better than they know themselves when you don't even know their first name. You must be just so super special awesome!

I think you're disrespecting them by not allowing them their beliefs and shoving yours down their throats. Leave them be. It's their choice to believe as they do as it is yours to believe as you do. Only they can change their beliefs through knowledge and self discovery. They might never change their beliefs but they will always be your family.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

Posting things to my own page is "shoving it down their throats"? I'd like to see that logic. Then by that same logic, them posting literally anything about religion would also be "shoving it down my throat." See how that doesn't work when you think it through? I don't go around to their pages and post things like "you're a religitard and here's the top 50 reasons why", I post things to my own page about the broken logic of theism and historic and modern points where theistic people (regardless of which religion) have oppressed, raped, and murdered others in the name of their magic books.

In your original post where did you make mention of posting to your own page?

Where did I ever mention that I was being blocked because I was shoving anything down anyone's throat? You associated being out and open with being aggressive and militant.

Good day to you. I'm done posting on this dicussion.

I'm sure people have blocked me but its usually the other way around with me. I block unfollow and remove people that post religious stuff all the time, i just get sick of seeing it.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 8, 2017

I mostly stick with specifically unfollowing bullshit pages. Mostly the ones that are saccharine platitudes. No one wants to bother responding to anything I have to say, they just want to be pissed about me saying it. Which only further validates what I have to say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.