Agnostic.com

8 0

Hi Everyone, what do you do when there is a religious festival and you want to avoid it as you do not believe it? But, everyone in your family wants you to be part of the celebration for the sake of getting together.

Srijith 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I really did not want to go to the family Christmas dinner, but I knew declining the invitation would ultimately cause more problems. So I sucked it up and went.

Someone suggested I play the piano, and even though I hadn't played in a year and wasn't really in the mood, I did anyway. Just as I suspected, there were easy level Christmas song piano books and other musical literature at hand (including a classic book from which I had studied somewhat serisouly at one point). And, just as I suspected, my rusty chops came back in short order; I spent the next hour or more playing cheesy kiddie Christmas tunes and other songs...and people LOVED it, and I was ecstatic because I DIDN'T HAVE TO TALK TO ANYONE MOST OF THE NIGHT! That piano was my saving grace! I would have been miserable without it.

The moral of the story? Develop a musical skill and learn seasonal/holiday/religious songs. People will simultaneously leave you alone and be grateful for your presence!

Will surely think about the advice.

It all depends on your relationship to your family and whether or not they would understand and accept your position............................

then go and pretend to enjoy it as you won't get everyone together often and then when your next free make sure to get drunk and refresh your mind

I would go if you get along with your family. If there is no pressure or hard feelings towards you, than enjoy the get together. If you know it'll turn into a preaching / exorcise the Atheist festival, then stay home and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the reply

At least you're Hindu, thats not as bad as most religions. Too bad you don't drink. Can you put in an appearance and smile and nod,,,, then escape ??

Thanks for your nice words.

Get drunk and have a blast?

Thanks for the reply. FYI, I am a teetotaller????

Voice your opinion, then go. It's no big deal.

Thanks for your reply.

I would absolutely go. My family is very religious and aside from their faith they all have wonderful personalities. It' important to spend time with family before they die. That's of course if they're not evil, they can all go pound salt if they are.

Thanks for the wonderful reply.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.