Agnostic.com
1 10

On meaning.

It happened one day in San Francisco, while I was on a jury in city court. At noon the judge called a recess for lunch. In a few minutes two other jurors, both of them men and one of them wearing the garb of a Catholic priest, and I were seated at a table in a small room with the sandwiches and beverages we had purchased.

The man across the table from me looked about 50 and was wearing a coat and tie. To my left, the priest looked about thirty-five. I was nearing 50 and, retired, …well, I don’t remember what I was wearing.

We spoke several words and started introducing ourselves. Coat-And-Tie Man added to his name that he was an Episcopalian. Priest Man of course added that he was a Catholic priest.

Not about to let this opportunity go by, I added to my name that I had once been a Catholic.

Priest Man right away looked at me and confidently said something that sounded like “Your life is absurd”.

What splendid luck! I had a day or two earlier found in my Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary a definition for the word “absurd”. It included the word “meaningless”.

I looked at Priest Man and replied, “I see it as my responsibility to give meaning to my life.”

The word “confused” does not adequately describe the look on Priest Man’s face.

I like “flummoxed”, which in my thesaurus has “baffled”, “confounded”, “perplexed”, and “stymied”.

I was on Cloud Nine. Or Cloud Ninety. After twenty-plus years of intellectual bullying by Catholic priests, I had silenced one.

The pleasure I felt was less than that of an orgasm, mind you, but it was very good.

yvilletom 8 May 9
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, you have to buy your own lunch when on jury duty. In Australia we get provided with lunch, dinner, etc, etc. we also get paid quite generously too.

Jolanta Level 9 Aug 25, 2023

Jurors in a city court were paid six dollars a day and we bought sandwiches, etc.

Jurors in a Federal (US govt) court were paid twenty dollars a day and the court paid for lunch at a restaurant in a school that trained chefs.

Both were about thirty years ago when I lived in SF.

Recent Visitors 26

Photos

Posted by JettyPerspective

Posted by PontifexMarximusWhy Evolution Is True … I never realised that there was still so much opposition to science. [livescience.com]

Posted by NR92What is the reason to live? What are we living for?

Posted by NR92Is it correct that Nietzsche was Hitler's inspiration?

Posted by mzeeWhat is fear?

Posted by DonaldHRobertsThe Most Complicated question ever asked. WHY?

Posted by TheMiddleWayRussel, the greatest salesman the world has ever known!

• Top tags#philosophy #world #god #truth #video #religion #book #laws #reason #humans #religious #moral #atheism #money #belief #death #Atheist #beliefs #evidence #friends #Christian #Bible #humanity #faith #DonaldTrump #TheTruth #scientific #USA #fear #hope #culture #books #morality #earth #freedom #Wisdom #media #imagination #tradition #existence #university #hello #society #rape #government #ethics #politics #children #created #wife ...

Members 437Top

Moderators