Agnostic.com
2 13

LINK Cat Who Went Missing in New York 10 Years Ago Found

Cats are known for being very independent, and sometimes they'll just make their own rules. But not all cats can survive in the wild. One can only imagine what a young cat would face outdoors in a congested area on an everyday basis.

One family in New York had probably given up all hope after their cat escaped from a relatives home back in July 2012. Now, after an extensive search, which NBC says involved putting up flyers around town and contacting local veterinarians, one missing cat has finally returned home,

UPI says Richard Price's cat Mimi was being cared for by his sister-in-law in 2012, when she got out. After searching all over the area, the family had probably given up hope. But just the other week, Price's family received a phone that Mimi had been found and turned in to the Town of Brookhaven Animal Shelter, according to NBC. 

As astounding as the news was, poor Mimi was not in the best of shape when she was found. In fact, the supervisor for Brookhaven said Mimi was so badly matted that she "felt like a shield of armor". NBC says that Mimi was microchipped and the shelter was able to find Price, who had now retired and was living in Spain

NBC says that Mimi is now 13-years-old and is being watched by a relative until Price and his wife come back to the U.S. next month to bring her with them back to Spain.

snytiger6 9 Dec 25
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aint micro chips wonderful?

FrayedBear Level 9 Dec 26, 2022

That poor cat! She must be pretty darn smart to have survived when life expectancy is not long for outdoors cats.

All of my cats have been indoor/outdoor cats, and usually live to be around 16 years old.

@snytiger6

Your cats have been lucky.

The more comfortable life of an indoor cat significantly increases his lifespan. An indoor cat may live 15-17 years, while the life expectancy for outdoor cats is only 2-5 years, according to researchers at University of California-Davis.

Dr. Jeff Levy, DVM, CVA, owner of House Call Vet NYC, also discourages owners from keeping cats outdoors. He adds that the extreme climates of the outdoors can be very hard on a cat.

If you do plan on taking your cat outside, it is best to do so in a controlled environment or with precautions put in place to ensure they cannot escape or run away. “Cats may have nine lives, but they aren’t indestructible,” says Dr. Levy. “Certain pet owners in New York walk their cats on leashes [with a cat harness, not a collar]. They train them to do that and can make sure they stay safe. That takes training, but it’s important. And the cats seem to enjoy it.”

[petmd.com]

@Killtheskyfairy I guess it depends on where you live.

When my middle sister lived in Wrightwood, CA, her cat got out and he got eaten by Coyotes. I suspect the more rural the area, if it has wildlife, it would greatly decrease the life expectancy of a cat. Growing up in the city, we only had one cat that got hit by a car. That was/is the primary danger of letting the cats out.

I have had cats that I tried to keep inside, but they had their own ideas.

The Calico, was an indoor/outdoor cat, but she pretty much stays inside by her own choice these days, while the other two like to go out and chase birds and squirrels.

Recent Visitors 19

Photos 9,040 More

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Thursday morning cuteness

Posted by Lilac-JadeCanadaFriendly question.....

Posted by RobertNappi2Tuesday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Monday morning cuteness...

Posted by RobertNappi2Sunday morning cuteness...Mini me

Posted by KilltheskyfairyCats, my rotting support animals!

Posted by RobertNappi2Saturday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Friday morning cuteness

Posted by RobertNappi2Wednesday morning cuteness...Team work

Posted by KilltheskyfairyPoster kitty!

• Top tags#cats #video #god #friends #world #dogs #religion #religious #hope #Friday #animals #reason #Atheist #kids #book #money #humans #sleep #hell #church #sex #loves #relationship #mother #parents #DonaldTrump #evidence #community #atheism #children #youtube #society #Bible #memes #truth #movies #fear #belief #pets #wife #coffee #Jesus #death #laws #faith #beliefs #Song #rescue #books #earth ...

Members 1,539Top