Agnostic.com
6 7

I suspect I'm not the first one to post this article from Psychology Today here, but it's the first time I've seen it, and I like what it has to say. For me personally, this is the best definition I've heard of introversion:

"Introversion is a basic personality style characterized by a preference for the inner life of the mind over the outer world of other people. Introverts do not fear or dislike others, and they are neither shy nor plagued by loneliness. A crowded cocktail party may be torture for introverts, but they enjoy one-on-one engagement in calm environments, which is more suited to the make-up of their nervous system."

That sits well with me. I hate parties, and other highly social situations. But I love going out for a drink or a quiet dinner with a friend.

What do you think about the article? Agree? Disagree?

[psychologytoday.com]

TheoryNumber3 8 Dec 1
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's interesting how the definition of introversion has evolved since it was originally coined. From the development of the MBTI introversion and extroversion were defined as how we draw our energy, which the definition above hits on some. Introverts are not necessarily shy or anti social, you can be an outgoing introvert. Introverts just need time alone with our thoughts to re-energize after social engagements. Extroverts draw their energy from the world around them which includes people. So many dating websites I see people calling themselves extroverted introvert and I know it's a thing because we have made it a thing but as a psychology major and a person who loves words, it just bugs me some because it really shouldn't be a think. You can be an omnivert who draws energy from within or from the others, but an extroverted introvert just doesn't make sense to me.

chellrene Level 3 Jan 24, 2021

Yes, I was a psych major too and I completely agree. The oxymoronic extroverted/introvert title comes from the misunderstanding most people have of introversion. I'm not shy. I'm very friendly and not hesitant to approach people (but not groups) individually. But although I feel my interactions with them are perfunctory at best, they cross my boundaries pretty quickly. I enjoy deeper interactions with close friends but keep them relatively brief in time so that when I've had enough I can excuse myself and embrace my solitude.

I have a friend who claims to be an omnivert. She's very social, and although she denies, it, she appears to love being in the spotlight, calling attention to herself and participating in group activities... all things that make me uncomfortable. I try to wear clothing that matches the wallpaper so that I can pick and choose who I interact with.

This hits the nail on the head! I agree with others that being by myself or staying home with family is when I'm happiest. Being in a crowd, especially with people I don't know wears me out.

I like it!

from what you quote, i'm just like you

Excellent description of me. 😉
Why does it seem that most people don't understand our personality?

Unity Level 7 Dec 1, 2020

If I were to be honest, I'd have to say I don't understand theirs either 😉 I have friends who have to fill every minute of the day with PEOPLE!! They can't stand being alone.

I also don't care too much about how others judge me. If I feel I have done a good job I don't care what other's feel about my work, if I think I could have done better than no amount of telling me what a wonderful job I have done will convince me I have done a good job.

Budgie Level 8 Dec 1, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 40

Photos 855 More

Posted by FrostyJim...works for me?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyFollow me for more tips…😎

Posted by KilltheskyfairyMe too, me too!

Posted by TheoryNumber3In honor of Eclipse Day.....

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI’m perfectly happy so must be something wrong…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyIntroverts. Creatures of the Night!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyDon’t ring my doorbell!

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyThe face helps…

Posted by FrostyJim...I have a lifetime membership.

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyAnd yet I thrive…

Posted by KilltheskyfairyWell, that deteriorated quickly…

• Top tags#friends #video #world #religion #god #hello #religious #hell #hope #relationship #Atheist #anxiety #money #reason #cats #truth #book #kids #dogs #introvert #Bible #children #humans #church #memes #fear #lonely #guns #wife #books #mother #Song #beliefs #laws #community #animals #sleep #Christian #Friday #movies #media #TheTruth #DonaldTrump #advice #faith #sex #parents #evidence #belief #coffee ...

Members 1,995Top

Moderators