Agnostic.com
5 11

There is a flower I enjoy because of the outsized stamens and much smaller petals. The stamens of Caesalpinia gilliesii (Bird of Paradise Shrub) are pretty sculptural. I think it would like hotter temperatures than I can offer bayside here on the California coast. But at least it survives and blooms reliably which I've never been able to do with the showier orange ones, Caesalpinia pulcherrima, commonly called peacock flower or Barbados Pride.

The first three are photos of C.g. I took in my garden in the last few days. The other is an image I found online of C.p.

MarkWD 7 July 31
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful at all stages!

Interesting, I wonder what is the pollinator of these plants.

Boy you've got me, Jack but it's native to Argentina and Uruguay. Wouldn't you think the point of the long stamens was to brush against whatever nectors at the flower? So maybe a large bird or rodent. But not likely a rodent since the flowers grow pretty high up.

@MarkWD Sounds right. With those stamens even the wind could pollinate the plant.

A neighbor gave me this plant and it decided to show me how pretty it’s flower is

I find that cacti often have the prettiest flowers.

@JackPedigo Yes! I need to find out what this one is called. I noticed the flower is further opening with more color yesterday. Looks like little blue stems coming out in the middle now.

@Redheadedgammy Yes, I can see the purplish emerging stems.
For some reason I really love plants with unusual flowers. This reminds me I have a small cactus on the deck with several small, white, long stemmed flowers. I need to check out my Zucchini and when I return and the sun is at a better angle I will take a picture and add it here.

@JackPedigo I would love to see that!

One of the nicest bromeliads I ever saw. The foliage especially but that flower suits it perfectly.

@MarkWD When I got it, she had put it in a really small pot with just a little dirt so I immediately put it in the big pot it's in now. It didn't look like it would make it at first, but I kept it watered and fertilized it as well. I've never grown one before so this is my first one. I like trying new plants, and am glad this one made it.

@Redheadedgammy Took some pictures but need to use the PC to download them tomorrow.

@MarkWD I have started looking at more pictures of them. There are so many exotic looking ones.

Love the wild and crazy look.

Spidery looking plant .

Cast1es Level 9 July 31, 2020

Like a daddy long legs.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 27

Photos 5,329 More

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,512Top